Massacre of moorhens in Endcliffe Park

Bad parenting

A duck for example will always feign injury, usually a broken wing, to distract any threat.

It's the circle of life

Dogs should be kept on leads in all public places. We were having a picnic at Crookes Valley Park and a dog ran straight through where we had our food placed. No sign of the owner. Such as shame about the Moorhens.

Bad parenting

A duck for example will always feign injury, usually a broken wing, to distract any threat.

It's the circle of life

Any specific breed of duck do that or is it all of them - news to me if that's the case.

And a moorhen isn't a duck.

Any specific breed of duck do that or is it all of them - news to me if that's the case.

And a moorhen isn't a duck.

Every days a schoolday.

Clearly a moorhen isn't a duck, hence my use of for example.

Probably not very popular but what more could the owner do than stand and shout once the dog was in the pond?

Also a dog having prey drive for small things really does not mean that it will be a potential Child killer...just trying to keep it real folks.

I am not defending the owner it was a terrible thing to happen, and must have been so upsetting to see.

I cant see the Police being interested, my only hope is that the owner had no idea that the dog would react that way, but now that they do that they will keep it on a lead around other animals/birds, what a disaster, poor Moorhens :(

Guest makapaka

It's not the dogs fault - there's no need to waste the polices time either.

The owners are the one's at fault for not putting it on a lead in the first place. There's too many dogs around as it is without having them running all over public parks.

Every days a schoolday.

Clearly a moorhen isn't a duck, hence my use of for example.

I'm not sure your example is accurate.

Completely the owners fault.

You have to be aware and vigilant when a dog is near small animals and that dog should have been on a lead.

Ignorant idiots have now got a dog that will always go berserk when it's near small animals.

I'm not sure your example is accurate.

Be assured it is.

Have you got a link?

To what, that which I see with my own eyes.

Try getting out a bit.

To what, that which I see with my own eyes.

Try getting out a bit.

32 years of bird watching chief, never seen the behaviour you talk of in ducks , never seen it in a report or study. I've seen flapping and quacking, but not feigning injury.

If you see it again, film it, you'll get published!