Supertram staff to strike..

I don't understand people's problem with an organised legitimate workers interest group exercising their lawful right to withdraw labour.

They are in a negotiation, an offer has been made, and rejected as being derisory. It's up to those who manage stagecoach to close the deal and make a decent offer.

The people who work on the trams are hardly earning fortunes, and a few pennies will make a bigger difference to them than it will to stagecoach's share price if an agreement can't be reached.

Seems simple to me, make a better offer.

Pretty much like airline staff striking during the summer holidays , never seems to be in the winter :suspect:

---------- Post added 06-07-2018 at 22:51 ----------

and we all understand yours

Obviously if you're going to go on strike you're going to try and time it to have maximum impact, not minimum impact. Why would you do anything else, if you can?

In the long run this will cost the users of the tram more, it's only a matter of time before there prices go up if they give them a pay rise- one which I don't support as at the end of the day they really shouldn't need conductors anyway. Do you see conductors on the tube? I suppose it's mainly needed because Sheffield is full of scummers who won't pay, but it's still ridiculous.

If these people don't like working for what they're on they have the option of working elsewhere for more, if they can. As they are striking for pennies I'd suggest they've already found their level. This kind of behaviour belongs in the past.

Obviously if you're going to go on strike you're going to try and time it to have maximum impact, not minimum impact. Why would you do anything else, if you can?

Striking in the manner we do over here is always a bit dumb (no surprise tbh).

This is how you 'strike', make your point and win favour with the public.

In the long run this will cost the users of the tram more, it's only a matter of time before there prices go up if they give them a pay rise- one which I don't support as at the end of the day they really shouldn't need conductors anyway. Do you see conductors on the tube? I suppose it's mainly needed because Sheffield is full of scummers who won't pay, but it's still ridiculous..

Would that be the London Underground that have ticket barriers that you have to go through before you get anywhere near a train? :rolleyes:

Edited by EmmaJones76

Guest busdriver1
Would that be the London Underground that have ticket barriers that you have to go through before you get anywhere near a train? :rolleyes:

It works on the Tyne and Wear Metro system with no barriers, maybe people up there are more honest?

Yeah, but if you think back you'd remember that the tram started without any conductors then had to bring them in as no one was paying. People in Sheffield are generally untrustworthy, which is why we can't have any nice things. See also: ofo bikes which are apparently about to pull out of our city, which will undoubtedly hit the national press. Next time someone overlooks this dump of a town and invests in Leeds or Manchester remember all of this.

A further 72-hour strike is planned for July 20-22, the weekend of the Tramlines festival, if the dispute is not resolved before then, according to The Star.

Not entirely unexpected, this one will also coincide with Northern being on strike on the 21st July.

It works on the Tyne and Wear Metro system with no barriers, maybe people up there are more honest?

many tram systems work without conductors or barriers just random checks by revenue protection guys including some I believe in this country

Guest busdriver1
Not entirely unexpected, this one will also coincide with Northern being on strike on the 21st July.

When planning industrial action, it is normal for any union to target a time that will cause the maximum impact on the employer in order to try and persuade them to settle. By selecting this weekend I am sure that their intention is that this will bring the employers to the table and offer what they want, not to inconvenience their wage payers ( the public).

That is my take on their reasons for selecting this time. The union can then lay the blame on management for failing to settle and feel they have the moral high ground. In some cases this may work, but, stagecoach will never back down to union demands and will pay massive sums to ensure buses are brought in from wide and far at that time to undermine the unions action.

Result: Impasse

---------- Post added 07-07-2018 at 11:38 ----------

Yeah, but if you think back you'd remember that the tram started without any conductors then had to bring them in as no one was paying. People in Sheffield are generally untrustworthy, which is why we can't have any nice things. See also: ofo bikes which are apparently about to pull out of our city, which will undoubtedly hit the national press. Next time someone overlooks this dump of a town and invests in Leeds or Manchester remember all of this.

Whilst I agree fully with what you say, there will be a backlash because you are not allowed to say it here.

Everything in Sheffield is great, its just businesses get it wrong all the time. :hihi:

When planning industrial action, it is normal for any union to target a time that will cause the maximum impact

well there would be little point in striking if it had no impact on the employer otherwise they would have come out today so the crews could enjoy the football as no doubt are most of the non existent passengers today

When planning industrial action, it is normal for any union to target a time that will cause the maximum impact

well there would be little point in striking if it had no impact on the employer otherwise they would have come out today so the crews could enjoy the football as no doubt are most of the non existent passengers today

Strike dates have to be notified a certain period in advance for them to be legal. They would have had no idea when organising the dates if they would have still been in the tournament or not. In any case it's more disruption to have it on a weekday to annoy the commuters.