Black Bins: Are Monthly Collections on the Horizon?

Its possible to recycle just about everything now,I can see us losing bin collections and having to bag our recycled waste and take it back to recycle points at its place of origin,The Supermarket,and put the responsibility on them for waste.

It is now 2/3rds of the way through June, and nothing else has been said. I know SCC works as though it's stuck in treacle, but 'soon' is surely a bit quicker than 4 months.

Thanks for the link, @northernboy although from experience, I wouldn't put it past 'The Star' to have got the story totally wrong.

Most if not all of my neighbours bins contain exactly the same volume on collection day with some even struggling to get the lid shut. "Most of the population" must differ.

It must do.

Maybe you should have a think about why you and your neighbours create more waste than most.

Someone on FB was moaning about maggots infesting their black bins.

I've lived in a few places with fortnightly collections and as we don't generate much waste, only fill up our regular rubbish bin once a month, so we don't always put it out every fortnight.

But I've never encountered maggots in the bin.

I dont even have a blue bin or box....

and I have too much glass and card to fit in a 'box' need a bin for each...

They are proposing to lose the blue box. Your current blue bin will become for the use of paper and card and a new brown bin will be introduced to hold tins, plastic and glass.

They should build a tunnel system that sucks up and separates all waste, that way they never have to collect anything again.

No changes would happen until the next budget is set anyway, so that will be over 9 months off.

Everyone ignored this then? :rolleyes:

When the council cut the black bin collection by 50% to fortnightly , what did the council expect people to do with the other 50% of the rubbish ? Or maybe the muppets in the town hall thought half of peoples rubbish would just vanish into thin air ?

It aint rocket science to know that once the bin is full , and there is another week until its emptied, the rest of the rubbish has to go somewhere .

No they thought you would get in your car and make an unnecessary trip to the tip and then (herries Road at least) queue in stop start traffic for an hour and add to the pollution of the city. It also did not occur to them that you might flytip and that they would have to do anything about clearing the result.

of course they might have done some consultation and come up with the fact that most residents were happy with a collection every two weeks but of course in doing so they did not think then about the people for whom this was not acceptable because for what ever reason they generate a lot of waste such as large families and the like

They are proposing to lose the blue box. Your current blue bin will become for the use of paper and card and a new brown bin will be introduced to hold tins, plastic and glass.

I don't have a current blue bin.... I only have a normal black bin!!

of course they might have done some consultation and come up with the fact that most residents were happy with a collection every two weeks but of course in doing so they did not think then about the people for whom this was not acceptable because for what ever reason they generate a lot of waste such as large families and the like

People with large families can apply for a large black bin. So, no problem there.

For what ever reason they failed to empty my blue bin today which was left in the same place as always thought for a minute they were also moving the blue bins to monthly but it turns out that all the other bins in the street had been emptied so perhaps the problem was that it was not full

If you Phone them 5hey will come back and empty it