Spearmint Rhino has licence renewed

Today we celebrate what would have been Dame Cicely Saunders’ 100th birthday. The good that she did with her life is immeasurable. Not all women are capable of achieving such acclaim but they are all capable of doing much better in life than taking clothes off and ‘wiggling their bottoms’ in front of leering men.

Those who say that it is nobody’s business but that of the two consenting parties are mistaken. The attitudes that this type of thing engenders reaches out far and wide, in particular that women are just the sum total of their naked bodies, to be used by men.

Wrap it up any way you want - it matters not who exploits who. It is demeaning to the woman and to the men. We can all do better and perhaps one day we will but it won’t be just yet.

Do you refuse to go see a film because it has some sex or nudity in it?

If I answer yes to that question then you will call me a prude; if I answer no then you will call me a hypocrite, so it is best not to answer!

---------- Post added 22-06-2018 at 17:57 ----------

Just because people don't agree with something surely it doesn't mean it should be banned / closed down! :rolleyes: What a dull world we would live in.

Maybe The Full Monty film should be banned! :o

If all you can come up with is the Full Monty as an equivalent to strip clubs that perfectly illustrates the argument - it's a comedy film with not a penis in sight!

---------- Post added 22-06-2018 at 18:02 ----------

Because you’ve no idea what goes on there but are against it. Have you spoken to any of the girls subject to this supposed commodification at the spearmint rhino to ascertain their views?

You don't have to have seen something in the flesh, as it were, to be able to find out about it and have an opinion. There are plenty of testimonies online from former lap dancers. Of course the women who work there currently are going to be positive about it - they need to attract the business so they can keep their jobs. Fewer men would go there if they thought that the dancers might be underpaid, tired, bored, feeling exploited or worried where the next meal is coming from - it would spoil the fantasy that they are sexually available and interested in them.

Feminism should be about making women equal to men, and men equal to women

Really? How is that going to happen then? Genetic engineering? :roll:

Those who say that it is nobody’s business but that of the two consenting parties are mistaken. The attitudes that this type of thing engenders reaches out far and wide, in particular that women are just the sum total of their naked bodies, to be used by men.

This is spot on - this affects ALL women whether we choose to participate or support lap dancing clubs or not. The recent #metoo campaign showed just how many women have been the subject of sexual harassment and how far we have got to go to have a society where women are not viewed primarily for their sexual attributes.

No-one's answered my question about whether you'd be happy for your female relatives to work in such an establishment so here's another: would you be happy for your wife, daughter etc to walk alone at night past a lap dancing club where sexually charged men are congregating?

If I answer yes to that question then you will call me a prude; if I answer no then you will call me a hypocrite, so it is best not to answer!

A good way of avoiding a simple question, and I was not going to judge but wanted to know if you practice what you preach.

This is spot on - this affects ALL women whether we choose to participate or support lap dancing clubs or not. The recent #metoo campaign showed just how many women have been the subject of sexual harassment and how far we have got to go to have a society where women are not viewed primarily for their sexual attributes.

No-one's answered my question about whether you'd be happy for your female relatives to work in such an establishment so here's another: would you be happy for your wife, daughter etc to walk alone at night past a lap dancing club where sexually charged men are congregating?

I would not let my other half walk ANYWHERE , alone in town at night

I would not let my other half walk ANYWHERE , alone in town at night

Do you own her? :suspect:

And yet many women are still happy to strip, get naked in films and have simulated sex providing they get paid for it.

To the first part yes, and to the second I have never seen men outside a lapdancing club who are sexually charged congregating. I have however seen prostitutes congregating and have been approached and asked if I wanted any business. If the former was a real problem then they would not be granted licenses and be able to operate. As for the latter its up to a woman what she wants to do with her body and selling it for pleasure or voyeurism does not bother or upset me.

This is a bit about the double standards when it comes to sexism:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-44287094

:huh::huh::huh:

"i would not let"

does she have a choice?

what if youre not available does she have to stay locked in the house?

"i would not let"

does she have a choice?

what if youre not available does she have to stay locked in the house?

I know what topcat meant . Do some people spend time on here just waiting to start petty arguments ?

I know what topcat meant . Do some people spend time on here just waiting to start petty arguments ?

you seem to excel at it instead of addressing the issues on plenty of topics so id say yes :D