Spearmint Rhino has licence renewed

A great illustration of how the commodification of women's bodies encouraged by strip clubs and the like normalise the practice of judging and commenting on women's physical appearance.

I'd ask all the men in favour of strip clubs to seriously consider whether they would be happy for their daughter, sister or mother to take her clothes off in public for men's sexual pleasure.

I'd do it myself if it paid well enough!

Would you like your daughter to work down the sewer sticking her hand up the poo pipe. If you are thinking about dignity then which job is less dignified?

Depends what you are defining as sexual pleasure, not forgetting that its not exclusively men that these venues cater for. Taking cloths off in public and being naked is not necessarily always about sexual pleasure. In any case this is not being done in public but done in a private venue where it is done as a job.

But that is exactly how strip clubs are marketed. They hardly advertise themselves as places where you can go and admire the human form in all its guises from an aesthetic point of view. Instead it's about the sexualisation of the female body.

---------- Post added 22-06-2018 at 08:35 ----------

Have you been to spearmint rhino?

No, I wouldn't choose to use my money to support commodification of women. Why does this matter to the argument?

---------- Post added 22-06-2018 at 08:37 ----------

Would you like your daughter to work down the sewer sticking her hand up the poo pipe. If you are thinking about dignity then which job is less dignified?

It depends on your perspective - you come into contact with a greater range of bodily fluids working as a nurse! Would you rather tell people your daughter was a nurse, or a stripper?

The Scandinavians have places like this.

The Saudis do not.

Bang on the difference is that the clubs in London are full of Saudis and similar thinking countrymen ,the Scandinavians like us could not care less what people do for a living as long as it is legal.

A great illustration of how the commodification of women's bodies encouraged by strip clubs and the like normalise the practice of judging and commenting on women's physical appearance.

I'd ask all the men in favour of strip clubs to seriously consider whether they would be happy for their daughter, sister or mother to take her clothes off in public for men's sexual pleasure.

and let's face it, it's usually men who own and run these places, making a lot of money, and it's women who take their clothes off, earning just enough to feed their kids or pay for there education etc etc - we have heard all the justifications for doing this job. Personally I would want my daughters to aspire to something higher than this - these mother's should seriously look at the long term values they are instilling into their daughters.

How would you describe the transaction that occurs there?

you really are a troll? there is no transaction going on, its entertainment pure and simple, not my idea of a good night out but hey live and let live!! i also understand some women and couples go:roll:

leave them to get on with it and also the girls to earn a very good living.

Edited by realcockney

and let's face it, it's usually men who own and run these places, making a lot of money, and it's women who take their clothes off, earning just enough to feed their kids or pay for there education etc etc - we have heard all the justifications for doing this job. Personally I would want my daughters to aspire to something higher than this - these mother's should seriously look at the long term values they are instilling into their daughters.

Do you know how much they can earn ? You have spoken to some I assume.

We would all like our offspring to have higher aspirations, the reality is aspirations are overhyped, you only have to look at what's on TV these days (celeb stuff, Love Island etc) to realise that.

I agree with a previous poster …… live and let live.

Posts have been removed. If you cant have a discussion without resorting to nasty, personal comments then please dont post.

Thank you.

But that is exactly how strip clubs are marketed. They hardly advertise themselves as places where you can go and admire the human form in all its guises from an aesthetic point of view. Instead it's about the sexualisation of the female body.

Do you refuse to go see a film because it has some sex or nudity in it?

Why would feminists go against the wishes of other females?

By protesting outside SR, they are going against the wishes of other females; the workers, who work there.

Feminism should be about making women equal to men, and men equal to women, not clamping down on the free will of women to do what they want to do if it's something primarily for the entertainment of men.

Just because people don't agree with something surely it doesn't mean it should be banned / closed down! :rolleyes: What a dull world we would live in.

Maybe The Full Monty film should be banned! :o

---------- Post added 22-06-2018 at 15:22 ----------

What's your understanding about the nature of men paying to look at, or sexually use, women's bodies? Is it broadly speaking a good thing or not a good thing?

It doesn't always have to be categorised as either. Its a transaction between two consenting parties in many cases- I'd argue the Spearmint Rhino topic is one of these. A third party has no right legally or morally to butt in and try to disrupt it.

Guest makapaka

---------- Post added 22-06-2018 at 08:35 ----------

No, I wouldn't choose to use my money to support commodification of women. Why does this matter to the argument?

---------- Post added 22-06-2018 at 08:37 ----------

It depends on your perspective - you come into contact with a greater range of bodily fluids working as a nurse! Would you rather tell people your daughter was a nurse, or a stripper?

Because you’ve no idea what goes on there but are against it. Have you spoken to any of the girls subject to this supposed commodification at the spearmint rhino to ascertain their views?