Spearmint Rhino has licence renewed

What's your understanding about the nature of men paying to look at, or sexually use, women's bodies? Is it broadly speaking a good thing or not a good thing?

It's broadly an exchange much like a contract of employment or labour.

And if even mild 'sex' work such as this is driven underground then there is no hope of helping to keep more 'serious' sex work safe.

People will strip for cash and others will pay for it, everyone involved at SR is an adult, the place is licensed and monitored, I can't see how it can be improved by closing down such places.

Guest makapaka
A young lady I used to work with used to work there weekend nights. She loved it.

We had a few discussions about it at the time. She said she could earn an awful lot of money, always felt completely safe and protected by the security.

I also remember her saying something like 'What could be more empowering than knowing you could control a whole room by wiggling your bum?'

That’s pretty much what the huffington article said which halibut posted.

All of the dancers at spearmint rhino wrote letters of support for the license renewal.

---------- Post added 21-06-2018 at 21:41 ----------

How would you describe the transaction that occurs there?

How would you? Are you against sexual attraction - or only when it’s in a manner which you consider acceptable?

Maybe you’re just being prudish?

---------- Post added 21-06-2018 at 21:51 ----------

It's broadly an exchange much like a contract of employment or labour.

And if even mild 'sex' work such as this is driven underground then there is no hope of helping to keep more 'serious' sex work safe.

People will strip for cash and others will pay for it, everyone involved at SR is an adult, the place is licensed and monitored, I can't see how it can be improved by closing down such places.

You’re absolutely right.

Spearmint Rhino has been there for what must be nearly 20 years at a guess. Until the last few years I don't remember hearing about any organised public outcry when their licence renewal came along.

The club is in an area mostly owned by Sheffield Hallam University, an organisation that is constantly expanding its estate of buildings.

Is it only me that wonders if SHU have really embedded themselves with an anti campaign for the safety of their students, or do they actually have an ulterior motive?

Do feminists protest outside events or clubs where men strip for women?

Why would they?

Guest makapaka
Why would they?

Why would feminists go against the wishes of other females?

Spearmint Rhino has been there for what must be nearly 20 years at a guess. Until the last few years I don't remember hearing about any organised public outcry when their licence renewal came along.

The club is in an area mostly owned by Sheffield Hallam University, an organisation that is constantly expanding its estate of buildings.

Is it only me that wonders if SHU have really embedded themselves with an anti campaign for the safety of their students, or do they actually have an ulterior motive?

The university are taking over the area and think they can dictate what can and can not open in the area.

A cafe place down Attercliffe applied to be a full takeaway place and the university building for well being objected on the grounds that it didn’t fit in with what they were doing (advanced well being centre ). The place in question the dhow cafe had been there 15-20 years before the university place.

The Dhow cafe got the planning so thankfully the university didn’t get there wish.

Why is it ugly women always protest when beautiful ladies enjoy their work there

A great illustration of how the commodification of women's bodies encouraged by strip clubs and the like normalise the practice of judging and commenting on women's physical appearance.

I'd ask all the men in favour of strip clubs to seriously consider whether they would be happy for their daughter, sister or mother to take her clothes off in public for men's sexual pleasure.

The Scandinavians have places like this.

The Saudis do not.

I'd ask all the men in favour of strip clubs to seriously consider whether they would be happy for their daughter, sister or mother to take her clothes off in public for men's sexual pleasure.

Depends what you are defining as sexual pleasure, not forgetting that its not exclusively men that these venues cater for. Taking cloths off in public and being naked is not necessarily always about sexual pleasure. In any case this is not being done in public but done in a private venue where it is done as a job.

Guest makapaka
A great illustration of how the commodification of women's bodies encouraged by strip clubs and the like normalise the practice of judging and commenting on women's physical appearance.

Have you been to spearmint rhino?

How do you know what it’s like at spearmint rhino then?

Have you spoken to anyone that works there?

Halibut please reply

There you go again with that absurdly reductionist thinking - everything has to be either/or; there's no nuances there.

Re your comments about 'supporting my own sex' if you really haven't figured out by now that men still rule most of the world, you're even denser than I thought.

Doesn't stop you being rude or wrong. You don't even really fully understand what you're on about it's just headline lip service.

Are you claiming men don't need protection in the same way that women do?

Perhaps when males paying males for sex become as newsworthy you'll sing a different tune.

A worker at Spearmint Rhino can elect not to work there - where is the male domination in that ?