Redevelopment of Hillsborough

The road system around Hillsborough needs simplifying if they want to attract more shoppers.  Most people just drive straight through as a wrong turn at the wrong time will earn you a hefty fine.  I drive through Hillsborough regularly but couldn't name any shops other than Wilko and Farmfoods. There's also hardly anywhere (obvious) to park.  The general street scene  is also incredibly tatty and dirty. A few trees might help.

I'm not sure I agree that the young  wholefoods set are moving into Hillsborough. Its still very much 'Old Sheffield'.  A night out in Hillsborough will tell you that. The funky young things are taking over Heeley/Meersbrook. I know where I would rather live. There's some new fantastic small businesses (bars/restaurants/cafe's etc) opening around there all the time.

On 6/21/2018 at 7:17 PM, Parvo said:

Throw in the lidl store plan for Malin Bridge plus a new housing estate up Loxley and we'll have gridlock.

Ah the joy...

Where's the new housing estate at Loxley? Do you mean the old Hepworths site?

5 hours ago, lil-minx92 said:

The road system around Hillsborough needs simplifying if they want to attract more shoppers.  Most people just drive straight through as a wrong turn at the wrong time will earn you a hefty fine.  I drive through Hillsborough regularly but couldn't name any shops other than Wilko and Farmfoods. There's also hardly anywhere (obvious) to park.  The general street scene  is also incredibly tatty and dirty. A few trees might help.

I'm not sure I agree that the young  wholefoods set are moving into Hillsborough. Its still very much 'Old Sheffield'.  A night out in Hillsborough will tell you that. The funky young things are taking over Heeley/Meersbrook. I know where I would rather live. There's some new fantastic small businesses (bars/restaurants/cafe's etc) opening around there all the time.

Farm Foods has been closed since September and is now a Sue Ryder charity shop.... and the funky young things are buying up Kelham Island and Shalesmoor.

Edited by darylslinn

1 hour ago, darylslinn said:

Farm Foods has been closed since September and is now a Sue Ryder charity shop.... and the funky young things are buying up Kelham Island and Shalesmoor.

The wealthier young professionals are buying in Kelham Island. They would never have been looking at Hillsborough anyway. The ones that cant afford or want more for their money are heading to Heeley/Meersbrook, not Hillsborough

Wow .. FarmFoods shutting down to be replaced by a charity shop says all there is to say about Hillsborough shopping centre..

My young neighbours moved to a semi here, Hillsborough, from a flat in Kelham Island.  They really liked it there, but with a child they wanted more room, a garden etc.   We chose Hillsborough when we moved here a few years before we retired.  Its extremely convenient, and although I'd like an M&S, Sainsbury's opening at Wadsley Bridge is a plus.

Eleven years ago we bought in Hillsborough/Middlewood for a number of reasons: Tram, Penistone Road round the corner so easy access to M1 (North or South), easy to get to Snake Pass/Woodhead to get to Manchester, affordable housing, nice park.

Those reasons still stand now, the shops in Hillsborough have always been... poor? It would be great if it picked up and we got a broader choice of nice shops, restaurants and quality pubs in the area, but we've been saying that for 11 years now...

Edited by tzijlstra

8 hours ago, tzijlstra said:

Eleven years ago we bought in Hillsborough/Middlewood for a number of reasons: Tram, Penistone Road round the corner so easy access to M1 (North or South), easy to get to Snake Pass/Woodhead to get to Manchester, affordable housing, nice park.

Those reasons still stand now, the shops in Hillsborough have always been... poor? It would be great if it picked up and we got a broader choice of nice shops, restaurants and quality pubs in the area, but we've been saying that for 11 years now...

I'll say one thing about Hillsborough Exchange / Precinct though and that is they've never had a charity shop open up in there.
All it needs is another big name retailer such as M&S Food to open up in the area and easier access to car parking and the place once again will thrive.

On 1/4/2019 at 9:55 AM, lil-minx92 said:

Very true about the pavements around Hillsboro corner the flagstones are a disgrace, not been cleaned in years.  All looks very tatty. What happened to new pavements and road surfaces for all under the Amey contract?

On 04/01/2019 at 16:46, lil-minx92 said:

The wealthier young professionals are buying in Kelham Island. They would never have been looking at Hillsborough anyway. The ones that cant afford or want more for their money are heading to Heeley/Meersbrook, not Hillsborough

Wow .. FarmFoods shutting down to be replaced by a charity shop says all there is to say about Hillsborough shopping centre..

You won't get much change (if any) out of 180k for a 3 bed terrace in Meersbrook these days. It's an extremely popular part of town.

On 04/01/2019 at 16:46, lil-minx92 said:

I think that Hillsborough and Walkley are often considered by recent graduates along with Kelham island and Shalesmoor.

Rather than denigrating the older inhabitants of Hillsborough it may come as a shock to some of you that some of us would like to return the shopping area to  a vibrant area that catered to the needs of all generations on term s of clothing , foods, general needs and entertainment. An area such as this where long term residents happily co-exist alongside young families and 'trendy young things'  {whatever they are} deserve provision reflective of all our needs