Sheffield free wi-fi

Good news for those who require wi-fi and don't want to eat into your monthly allowance:

"Sheffield’s first-ever free high-speed wi-fi will be going live across the city centre on World Wi-Fi Day.

The service, known as Sheffield Free Wi-Fi, will help Sheffield City Council meet its ambition to be one of the best connected cities in the country and help make the city centre more vibrant.

Sheffield-based Idaq Networks is providing the wi-fi service by installing 220 pieces of superfast and ultrafast broadband equipment to council-owned street lights and street furniture.

The first phase of the wi-fi network covers the theatre and retail district including Fargate, the Peace Gardens, Winter Garden, Tudor Square, Pinstone Street and The Moor.

Further phases will be launched in the months ahead, so that almost all the city centre will be covered by November 2018."

http://www.sheffieldnewsroom.co.uk/sheffield-free-city-wi-fi-goes-live-on-world-wi-fi-day/

Hope it's better than the one I'm trying to use now ,keeps dropping out

Apparently it is free.:)

Someone will pay for it.

Blackberries by the river are free, WiFi isn't a natural free occurrance.

Someone will pay for it.

Blackberries by the river are free, WiFi isn't a natural free occurrance.

I agree, but I meant free to use. It'll be paid for by advertising or council tax I expect.

Don't most people have good data allowances these days?

Likelihood it's full of ads and spyware and will drop out. Safer to use your own data

The linked article says "People who use the Wi-Fi will be provided with “private VLAN” technology which means they will have a more secure " - does anyone have more details about this?

Free WiFi and keep rolling around in northern old ancient trains. It is a comedy, Monty python culture.

Free WiFi and keep rolling around in northern old ancient trains. It is a comedy, Monty python culture.

So agree. The cattle sheds are a disgrace

Is this just for one day?

Those than can read will be able to use it for ten years.

Idle wasters missed their chance, yesterday.

Edited by cgksheff