Local tax office

Are there any local tax offices in Sheffield? Phoned one off Gov website but of no help what so ever. He also said there are no local offices but surely this cannot be right . Thanks

He is right, the public facing offices vanished ages ago.

Are there any local tax offices in Sheffield? Phoned one off Gov website but of no help what so ever. He also said there are no local offices but surely this cannot be right . Thanks

The one at the bottom of The Moor has closed, I believe. However the last time that I attempted to enter it a commissionaire informed me that members of the public were not allowed to enter. Just use the number on their web site, they will get you through to the correct section, well it worked for me, good luck. :thumbsup:

Thanks for the replies . Will try phoning again tomorrow.

The building still exists at the bottom of The Moor but with a much reduced staff and, as has already been said, no public access.

It was decided that the public no longer wanted face to face advice so all local offices will be shutting by 2020/21 to be replaced by big shiny regional centres. Ours will be in Leeds.

The previous Chief Exec thought about 90% of the employees would make the move to Leeds. On the last count it was looking more like 20%.

Just keep persisting with the number you have and eventually somebody will pick up the phone. 7.30am is probably a good time to try.

Ty Taxman.As an older person ,I like face to face ,so much easier.

The building still exists at the bottom of The Moor but with a much reduced staff and, as has already been said, no public access.

It was decided that the public no longer wanted face to face advice.

I bet that nobody asked the public.

My experience with HMRC is that:

a. it takes forever to reach anyone relevant by telephone; and

b. letters can take even longer than that- as do refunds; odd, isn't it, that HMRC are quick off the mark when a taxpayer owes but rather less so when a taxpayer is owed...

I bet that nobody asked the public.

My experience with HMRC is that:

a. it takes forever to reach anyone relevant by telephone; and

b. letters can take even longer than that- as do refunds; odd, isn't it, that HMRC are quick off the mark when a taxpayer owes but rather less so when a taxpayer is owed...

My own personal experiences have been similar to yours in respect of (a). However I’ve never had to remind them of refunds owed, albeit that they were only in the region of £200 to £300, which I wasn’t in a hurry for.

No public offices left in the area now

No public offices left in the area now

Exactly, but there are a plethora of posts supporting the wonders that are Sheffield City Centre. However I wouldn’t have minded being a fly on the walls of HMRC, Home Office and DWP when they made their decisions to ship out of Sheffield. :suspect:

Exactly, but there are a plethora of posts supporting the wonders that are Sheffield City Centre. However I wouldn’t have minded being a fly on the walls of HMRC, Home Office and DWP when they made their decisions to ship out of Sheffield. :suspect:

DWP and Home Office are still present in Sheffield, in fact many ex-HMRC workers shipped over to the Home Office en masse a couple of months ago (although some of them still haven't been paid...LOL).

The HMRC criteria for where they would house the regional centres was based on location (a large population within their sphere), good transport links and a University. It was envisaged the best and brightest graduates would backfill all the posts abandoned by the old guard who refused to up sticks and move house or commute.

I've used the HMRC website for all my communication with them. Worked without issue every time.