Energy Company bending the rules.

At present consumers have the legal right to refuse a Smart Meter.Energy companies are not allowed to force people to have one,they can of course ask consumers or recommend to consumers that they should have one but it has to be left to their choice.However EON have found a clever way round it.Their cheapest tariff comes with the provision that anybody who signs up for it will let EON contact them to arrange a time to fit a smart meter.These Smart Meters must in some way be really beneficial to energy providers.

These Smart Meters must in some way be really beneficial to energy providers.

Yes it allows them to get reading on a regular basis so can project and plan for usage while also still getting the standing charge. The latter is still charged despite the fact that the consumer is paying in the long run for having a smart meter.

I would have a smart meter if they dropped the standing charges, until then they can do one..:)

Choosing not to have a smart meter may mean you don’t have access to all the available tariffs on the market, some of which could be cheaper. Would you choose a more expensive tarriff?

EDF were slapped with £350,000 Government fine this week, for missing last year's smart meter instalation target.

What is the big deal?

I had a man knock on my door a few weeks ago asking where my meters are. I told him, thinking he was here to read them then he said we will be here within 5 weeks to install smart meter. He didn't tell me where he was from before I told him to go away.

When it is the law I have to have one I will but until then I won't

Eon also write on your bill that you are currently on the cheapest tariff until you read a bit further, where it says, "based on your current choices", so basically, as that means naff all, I think people might conclude that the statement is deliberately intended to mislead. It worked with me. For months I thought I was on the cheapest tariff until I queried this with an Eon advisor and they nicely pointed this out!

Edited by Lex Luthor

Having a smart meter could end up offering you no benefit at all when switching because providers do not all use the same networks. So you could end up using it like a traditional meter.

It could also end up being a big problem, given that there have been numerous problems with them overcharging.

If a utility company has a scheme with a pre-requisite that it is only available in conjunction with a smart meter, what’s the problem? They are being upfront with their product information, it’s the consumer’s choice if they want one, or not. :huh:

Having a smart meter could end up offering you no benefit at all when switching because providers do not all use the same networks. So you could end up using it like a traditional meter.

My sister had British Gas smart meters installed in December last year. In May this year she switched to Scottish Power, now the smart function doesn't work, she now sends readings in once a month.

Why won't one companies smart meters work with all the other companies?

Seems a bit like the old VHS v BETAMAX scenario.

Eon also write on your bill that you are currently on the cheapest tariff until you read a bit further, where it says, "based on your current choices", so basically, as that means naff all, I think people might conclude that the statement is deliberately intended to mislead. It worked with me. For months I thought I was on the cheapest tariff until I queried this with an Eon advisor and they nicely pointed this out!

Unfortunately for some E.On users this was just announced today:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-44532586

My sister had British Gas smart meters installed in December last year. In May this year she switched to Scottish Power, now the smart function doesn't work, she now sends readings in once a month.

Why won't one companies smart meters work with all the other companies?

Seems a bit like the old VHS v BETAMAX scenario.

its beyond believe they don't have a single type meter it is weird

Edited by phil752