Thieves in Abbeydale

I live on Abbeydale Road - between Woodseats Road and the Broadfield pub - and our house was cased last night by thieves. Around 7pm someone knocked on our door, and when I asked him what he wanted he said "oh, er, is er, Max there?" I said no and asked him what number he was looking for and he just umm-ed and ahh-ed, asked if it was 'a house or a flat' (which I didn't answer) and tried to mooch off. I followed him out and three of them were stood there, spitting and staring at me. I went and warned the neighbours and then watched the would-be thieves from my window, where I could see them scanning the area for more targets.

Around 11pm, my girlfriend told me they were in our back yard. I got dressed and went out, but by that time they'd scarpered but my neighbour came round and told me he'd just seen them climbing over walls while another one guarded the entrance. We discussed what our options were, which mostly involved staying awake all night holding big sticks, and went our seperate ways.

This morning, my house and that of my neighbour, are both ok. The thieves were most probably scouting the shops next door, as one of them was broken into the other night. However, we're sure they'll be back.

If anyone was broken into last night in that area, PM me as I'll be happy to testify, etc. For info, the one who came to my door was Asian, about 17, 5'10", wearing a black hooded sweatshirt, baseball cap, grey tracky bottoms and had a wispy moustache and 'beard'. His mates were a bit older, maybe 20-21. One of them was wearing jeans and a baseball cap, and the other was wearing full Muslim traditional dress. I can give better descriptions of all of them if need be.

Answer the door with a camera and as soon as you open it take a picture of them, that might put them off. Don't use an expensive camera tho else they will be back for it.

:)

I have a mate in Shiregreen who did that and he was targetted for abuse on the street for about a month afterwards. I'll try it though. I was thinking of answering the door in the buff - that'd really scare 'em off.

Seriously though, it's like being under siege, and there's no police presence in that area at all. We shouldn't have to live like this - sitting at home with a big stick, waiting for someone to break in.

Your experience sounds very familiar. A few years ago i shared a rehearsal room with a female singer not far from Abbeydale Road. One day when she was in and I wasn't, a young asian kid came to the door asking if "the band" was in and having a good look around the place. He left, then the following day we came in to find virtually all our stuff had been nicked (we even found some of it already for sale in Big Deal!). Although we kept the room on and replaced the equipment, it was never quite the same and we eventually moved out.

Sadly there's not much you can do about it save for making your house more secure than others in the area and, if you do answer the door to a dodgy-looking stranger, step outside to talk to them so they don't get a look at any valuables in your house.

I had a similar experience in Crookes about a year and a half ago. Went out my back door and saw two ****s jumping over the neighbours backwall. Went back inside and had a look at what they were doing from the upstairs windows and the little scamps were casing up peoples houses. So I phoned the police (like you should have done by the way) and they were round within 10 minutes. Don't know if they caught them but they definitely scarpered as soon as.

Funny you should say that, I've just got off the phone to the Old Bill, who were very helpful. I gave full descriptions and have a 'special number' if anything further happens...

Also had a couple of useful PMs about talking to the local community about it.

you should call the police, my parents were burgled and one of the neighbours said after the event that they had seen some kids hanging around and trying door handles etc, we told the police and he said they should have called and they would have had a presence in the area.

If you call them now and someone has been burgled im sure they will be really pleased of a statement

P

you just posted before me

Glad you have called and they can be really helpful, sometimes :)

fingers crossed you wont need the number

Px

I agree with Patsy & Co's view. Crookesey you need to get a life and stop spoiling a decent discussion about an area where residents really seem worried.

You need to get a life or an education so you can begin to understand issues a lot better.

Best way to get around thieves like these would be to contact the police straight away... they cant get away like that!!!

no one should have to live like this in this day and age...

ta..

Thanks for the contributions, but this is well off-topic. EDIT: the mods have removed all the off-topic stuff... thanks!

The problem for me and my neighbour is not a matter of race or religion - thieves can be any race or whatever and still be essentially the same: badly brought-up cheeky little gits who need to be taught a lesson. The police needed accurate descriptions and appreciated the fact that I only mentioned race for this reason - as I did for the guy wearing the Muslim skull-cap and dress.

I didn't mean it to turn into a debate on race but understand people have strong feelings on these matters. I'd rather stay on-topic though as it's been very constructive up to this point - thanks to those who've offered serious advice.

No, but lots of people who've had similar experiences in that area. Hoping to hear more recent examples and compare notes on the thieves. Me and the neighbour are being extra vigilant from now on and the police have promised a bit of a presence this weekend, which should put the little buggers off.

If anyone notices anything like this in Abbeydale this weekend please post it here or PM me.

http://www.sheffield.gov.uk/sys_upl/templates/PT_Councillor/PT_Councillor_details.asp?mapid=51&tid=153&pgid=921

contact Ali Qadar. He took action against some asian youths that were hassling a mate on empire road. I think he is well respected in the Asian community and you don't get anything if you don't ask.