Weedon Street Attercliffe

Hi I wonder if anyone can help. I was born when my parents lived on Weedon Steet Attercliffe but I don’t know the full address. Is there anyway of finding out? Family name was Khan and I was born in 1970.

Hope someone can help. Thanks in advance.

Also does anyone know how to get hold of the Whites Directory for Attercliffe/Darnall ?

Edited by thestars

Hi I wonder if anyone can help. I was born when my parents lived on Weedon Steet Attercliffe but I don’t know the full address. Is there anyway of finding out? Family name was Khan and I was born in 1970.

Also does anyone know how to get hold of the Whites Directory for Attercliffe/Darnall ?

Not sure if you mean Kellys ? theres a 1971 on Ebay at the moment

University of Leicester's special collections website has various trade directories on it as does Sheffield history website.

Hi the stars - I have a number of local Kelly's directories from the early 1900s to 1974 (the last one published) but unfortunately they only list businesses in Weedon Street, not ordinary householders - see here for the 1965 listing - and the name Khan doesn't occur on Weedon Street in any of the directories I have for that period (1963, 1965, 1971, 1973, 1974). By 1973-74 most of the houses had been demolished. The Sheffield Local Studies Library has electoral registers so it may be worth contacting the people there.

Edited by hillsbro

Hi the stars - I have a number of local Kelly's directories from the early 1900s to 1974 (the last one published) but unfortunately they only list businesses in Weedon Street, not ordinary householders - see here for the 1965 listing - and the name Khan doesn't occur on Weedon Street in any of the directories I have for that period (1963, 1965, 1971, 1973, 1974). By 1973-74 most of the houses had been demolished. The Sheffield Local Studies Library has electoral registers so it may be worth contacting the people there.

Thank you Hillsbro for checking. Unfortunately I’m not in Sheffield any longer but will put that on my to do list at some point.

Many thanks to all that replied :0)

Long shot im sure but there were some properties at the top of Weedon Street that were adjacent the Commercial pub I think they may have had Sheffield Road adresses even though people could assume they were Weedon Street ,dont suppose you could have lived in one of those by any chance ?

There used to be a chippy on the corner of Weedon Street back in the 80s and a newsagent that had all the dirty books in the window. I used to secretly fancy the girl who worked behind the counter in the chippy.

Long shot im sure but there were some properties at the top of Weedon Street that were adjacent the Commercial pub I think they may have had Sheffield Road adresses even though people could assume they were Weedon Street ,dont suppose you could have lived in one of those by any chance ?

I have no idea ? I’m not in contact with my parents so can’t ask them

Unfortunately.

Do you have your birth certificate?

Thank you everyone

My sister asked for me and I now know I was born when my parents lived at 23 Weedon Street ?

Thank you once again

The 1939 Register for 23 Weedon Street is Enumeration District KIQP.

Alice Martin Female 14/01/1883 Widowed Unpaid Domestic Duties

John Flusselbe Male 30/10/1881 Single Steel Grinder

Weedon Street information is spread over several pages and codes.