Legalise cannabis oil?

Not so sure about recreational use as there are so many different strengths out there.

Licenses sales would clearly make that safer.

Not so sure about recreational use as there are so many different strengths out there.

Doesn't that support the argument for legalising it, regulating production of it so it's not such a hit and miss affair in terms of stength and effect?

It seems absolutely bonkers to me that it's illegal, yet alcohol (which imo causes way more social and individual ills than pot) is perfectly legal. An ex copper was referenced making this point on TV (on Vicky Derbyshire) this morning; all the agravation and social problems booze causes; yet dope pretty much just sedates people in comparison.

I imagine, for one reason or another, it's just not been politically expedient to support it's legalisation; maybe recent events will turn out to be the catalyst of change? I hope so. Not that I'd be using it myself, but I strongly feel if you want to, that's your business, and so long as you're not adversely affecting others, it's none of the government's business to tell you what you can and cannot do with, or put in to, your own body.

Edited by Waldo

If cannabis or its extracts can be used for medicinal purposes then these products should be licensed. After doing a bit of reading up apparently cbd oil can reduce inflammation and is less damaging to your liver than ibuprofen.

It can be used for epilepsy and there is a product called sativex that is licensed for use treating multiple sclerosis. Smoking cannabis can also help asthma and relieve pain.

In fact I know someone who played rugby for years who got into smoking it because it relieved the pain from all the knocks he got playing at a very high (no pun intended) level for a long time. Not the usual type you think of when you think of a dope smoker, but there you are.

My bold=

There are many different strength alcoholic drinks out their too, Wray & Nephew overproof Rum is 63% so the different strength argument doesn’t come into it...

My bold=

There are many different strength alcoholic drinks out their too, Wray & Nephew overproof Rum is 63% so the different strength argument doesn’t come into it...

but cos cannabis is completely illegal its not regulated, it doesnt have a strength listed on it like alcohol does

Many people use painkillers, but not many have a large canabis farm.

That's because the painkillers are legal, if cannabis was legal, how many more would use that instead of normal over the counter stuff?

What's the deal with using it for pain relief? They can extract specific components that relieve pain but don't affect your state of mind?

Would it be better in your view if she'd stuck rigidly to a position despite evidence to the contrary?

No, it would have been better if she'd just kept her mouth shut instead of trying to portray a Labour utopia.

No, it would have been better if she'd just kept her mouth shut instead of trying to portray a Labour utopia.

lol, okay then. :)

What's the deal with using it for pain relief? They can extract specific components that relieve pain but don't affect your state of mind?

Apparently, or though I'm not sure they actually extract and purify specific compounds out of it.

The lad in the news was treated with cannabis oil, I assume they just mulch the stuff up, extract and clean the oil and use that??

Personally I'm in favour of politicians changing their view when new evidence is presented.

In this case there is no new evidence, it's been clear for years that the evidence lead policy for cannabis would be full legalisation.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2009/oct/30/drugs-adviser-david-nutt-sacked

Sacked in Oct 2009 for telling the government (in his official role as chief drug adviser) that some drugs should be legalised and that they were less harmful than tobacco and alcohol.

That's sacked by a Labour government to be clear.

And a commonly accepted scale of harm of a variety of drugs (accepted by anyone who doesn't take a purely moralistic and illogical position)

https://www.economist.com/graphic-detail/2010/11/02/scoring-drugs

Personally I'm in favour of politicians changing their view when new evidence is presented.

When such a thing does happen the first thing out of their mouths is an explanation of why they have changed their view.

Since that has not occurred in this case then it's far more likely they are just jumping on the bandwagon instead.

When such a thing does happen the first thing out of their mouths is an explanation of why they have changed their view.

Since that has not occurred in this case then it's far more likely they are just jumping on the bandwagon instead.

She said “A number of recent heart breaking cases have highlighted a failure of Government policy.”

“Children have been put at risk and experienced extraordinary suffering because this Government drags its heels and refuses to grant cannabis oil licences.

“This must not continue. Labour in government will allow the legal prescription of cannabis oil for medical purposes.

“We will also review drugs policy to address all issues of public health. The Government should stop being so heavy-handed and bureaucratic and put the welfare of children first.”