Accident Hillsborough 16/06/2018

This is an accident blackspot ! I was in the traffic jam held up by this accident this afternoon. I have never seen so many police cars, must have been at least six, plus the ambulance, plus motor bike medics . Did not know it was an elderly man so hope he is ok.

I was on a malin bridge tram, mid-day and there was a near miss Pedestrian crossing the road from behind a Bus, whist lights were on green for the traffic.

It happens all the time.

As everyone has said I hope he's ok.

Edited by steve68

The crossing is marked out, so a driver can stop safely and see the red light without going over the crossing. For the impatient driver that does not stop at the red or if there is abit of a cue on and you have passed the light, there is room for 2 maybe 3 cars to see the red light for the crossing to the stop with out going over or blocking the crossing and the yellow grided slip route for Forbes road.

As i have edited above. Every area has a mixture of impatient drivers and impatient pedestrians, and it just seems that the 2 do not mix well in that area.

I happen to be a good driver wouldn't do it if i wasn't

I'm just thinking about the poor bloke involved in the accident and nothing else right now

Arguing the toss about the crossing is irrelevant at this moment in time

I happen to be a good driver wouldn't do it if i wasn't

I'm just thinking about the poor bloke involved in the accident and nothing else right now

Arguing the toss about the crossing is irrelevant at this moment in time

I walk and occasionally drive in Hillsborough. I've nearly been knocked down twice. Once by a van that turned left into Bradfield Road (no left turn) so of course people were crossing with the green man sign. Once by a cyclist who turned left (no left turn) at the bottom of Forbes Road, again I was crossing legitimately.

Driving through Hillsborough is like 'dodge the pedestrian'. The crossings confuse because they are set to let traffic through in one direction only at times, and so many people don't/won't wait for the green man. Impatience seems to be the main issue. Pedestrian crossings being used incorrectly appear to be the area where most accidents have happened, particularly this one. I hope the person who was hurt is recovering.

The cluster of pedestrians getting off the tram outside the Rawson, and then crossing onto the tiny central part between tram tracks and road doesn't help either. I hope the council will look again at this road layout and crossings, there seems to be an incident every few months.

The faded box junction paint, along with coloured tarmac and several sets of lights all add to the confusion. :|

I walk and occasionally drive in Hillsborough. I've nearly been knocked down twice. Once by a van that turned left into Bradfield Road (no left turn) so of course people were crossing with the green man sign. Once by a cyclist who turned left (no left turn) at the bottom of Forbes Road, again I was crossing legitimately.

Driving through Hillsborough is like 'dodge the pedestrian'. The crossings confuse because they are set to let traffic through in one direction only at times, and so many people don't/won't wait for the green man. Impatience seems to be the main issue. Pedestrian crossings being used incorrectly appear to be the area where most accidents have happened, particularly this one. I hope the person who was hurt is recovering.

I agree with you, it is like “ dodge the pedestrian” . Cars pulling out without warning and turning into roads where it clearly shows “ No turning”. Besides the bad accident yesterday involving the pedestrian there was also someone knocked down on the same crossing last year.

Any news on this pedestrian? Keep checking on here for updates...I do hope he’s pulled through.

Any news on this pedestrian? Keep checking on here for updates...I do hope he’s pulled through.

Not that it proves anything, but there are no flowers at the junction.

The cluster of pedestrians getting off the tram outside the Rawson, and then crossing onto the tiny central part between tram tracks and road doesn't help either. I hope the council will look again at this road layout and crossings, there seems to be an incident every few months.

The faded box junction paint, along with coloured tarmac and several sets of lights all add to the confusion. :|

Last time I was there I looked at the road and it struck me just what a busy, bamboozling mess all the markings are, its like and abstract work of art.

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@53.4017479,-1.4996336,3a,75y,29.49h,68.23t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sZcS_VrXtVnvNY9ogKRUU0w!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

Not that it proves anything, but there are no flowers at the junction.

That’s true......

Cani just say I was at this crossing today the green man came on so I started to walk and a car went straight through! Luckily I have my wits about me on this crossing or I too could of ended up getting knocked over!

Last time I was there I looked at the road and it struck me just what a busy, bamboozling mess all the markings are, its like and abstract work of art.

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@53.4017479,-1.4996336,3a,75y,29.49h,68.23t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sZcS_VrXtVnvNY9ogKRUU0w!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

looks worse than that know Alan, the markings are faded!

This morning I drove along Holme Lane, a pedestrian nipped across against the lights, but I always look out for this. Over to Bradfield Road, another crossed outside Wilko, again when the red man was showing. I think we all need to be extra careful, pedestrians especially so as they're more vulnerable than someone in a vehicle.

This morning I drove along Holme Lane, a pedestrian nipped across against the lights, but I always look out for this. Over to Bradfield Road, another crossed outside Wilko, again when the red man was showing. I think we all need to be extra careful, pedestrians especially so as they're more vulnerable than someone in a vehicle.

It amazes me to sit outside the Cathedral (surrounded by spice heads obviously!) and watch the number of people who run in front of a moving tram. Some people just don’t look, don’t care or perhaps are just arrogant and think they’ll not get hit. Law of averages means sometimes people WILL get hit.

---------- Post added 22-06-2018 at 13:45 ----------

I understand the gentleman concerned has now been discharged from hospital and is on the mend.