Accident Hillsborough 16/06/2018

There is something wrong with that crossing. It is very confusing. Where the traffic filters on to one side of the road behind the tram gates people don’t realise which direction the traffic is coming from and step out in front of traffic coming from the barracks direction because they assume it is two lanes of traffic all coming from the Middlewood Rd direction rather than traffic flowing in opposite directions so they step out thinking the road is clear.

Yes it would be sensible to wait for the green man, but people don’t. And that crossing is dangerous because there is a death or serious injury there every few months. In comparison to other crossings without the traffic filters that is a hell of a lot. So yes, that crossing is dangerous.

---------- Post added 16-06-2018 at 15:49 ----------

Was he elderly? It frequently does seem to be elderly people who are hit there as the crossing confuses them.

Enough said.

---------- Post added 16-06-2018 at 15:54 ----------

See I disagree with you there.... from the lights outside Morrisons crossing there are no further lights for cars till you reach the next set outside the chip shop..... many a time Iv been sat in the car on Forbes road waiting at the red light & I see many a bus/car drive straight through that crossing when the green man is on for the pedestrians.

It needs sorting out!

Yes there is. Lights on the crossing for the barracks. Then 2 lights telling people to stop before Forbes road and if you miss that, there is one on the crossing telling you not to pass the crossing (if it's red and the green man is active). Edited by Colt

Drove past literally just after this has had happened, thoughts go to all involved especially the gentleman that was hit, looked to be a very serious accident.

I don’t know, the ambulance had just arrived and began to work on him and out of respect I didn’t watch. There was a lot of bystanders who seemed very upset by the incident.

It's a terrible crossing i live close by and as a driver it is very confusing

Iv'e heard it's quite a bad accident, thoughts go to all involved

See I disagree with you there.... from the lights outside Morrisons crossing there are no further lights for cars till you reach the next set outside the chip shop..... many a time Iv been sat in the car on Forbes road waiting at the red light & I see many a bus/car drive straight through that crossing when the green man is on for the pedestrians.

It needs sorting out!

Exactly that.

I think a serious rethink is needed for the whole section from Ripley St to the corner to give more consideration to pedestrian movements and slow through traffic so that impacts are not so serious. A shared space might be one consideration.

It's a terrible crossing i live close by and as a driver it is very confusing

Iv'e heard it's quite a bad accident, thoughts go to all involved

I seem to manage it fine. Maybe those that find it difficult should pay attention when driving, or go for refresher driver training. Every area has a mixture of impatient drivers and impatient pedestrians, and it just seems that the 2 do not mix well in that area.

Edited by Colt

Enough said.

---------- Post added 16-06-2018 at 15:54 ----------

Yes there is. Lights on the crossing for the barracks. Then 2 lights telling people to stop before Forbes road and if you miss that, there is one on the crossing telling you not to pass the crossing (if it's red and the green man is active).

You should never be in a position to need to stop at the crossing when the green man is on. You shouldn't stop at the crossing because there's no stop line there. Far too many people ignore the fact it's a box junction.

You should never be in a position to need to stop at the crossing when the green man is on. You shouldn't stop at the crossing because there's no stop line there. Far too many people ignore the fact it's a box junction.

The crossing is marked out, so a driver can stop safely and see the red light without going over the crossing. For the impatient driver that does not stop at the red or if there is abit of a cue on and you have passed the light, there is room for 2 maybe 3 cars to see the red light for the crossing to the stop with out going over or blocking the crossing and the yellow grided slip route for Forbes road.

As i have edited above. Every area has a mixture of impatient drivers and impatient pedestrians, and it just seems that the 2 do not mix well in that area.

Edited by Colt

The crossing is marked out, so a driver can stop safely and see the red light without going over the crossing. For the impatient driver that does not stop at the red or if there is abit of a cue on and you have passed the light, there is room for 2 maybe 3 cars to see the red light for the crossing to the stop with out going over or blocking the crossing and the yellow grided slip route for Forbes road.

As i have edited above. Every area has a mixture of impatient drivers and impatient pedestrians, and it just seems that the 2 do not mix well in that area.

It's ironic that you say it's not a confusing area yet you are confused yourself about it.

If there is a queue of traffic a driver should stop at the light to the south/east before Forbes road. That is where the stop line is for that crossing. If the exit is not clear that is where drivers should stop. There should not be cars stopping at the crossing.

It's ironic that you say it's not a confusing area yet you are confused yourself about it.

If there is a queue of traffic a driver should stop at the light to the south/east before Forbes road. That is where the stop line is for that crossing. If the exit is not clear that is where drivers should stop. There should not be cars stopping at the crossing.

I am not confused at all, cars will follow the flow of traffic. Red light stops traffic at the chip shop crossing and traffic is still flowing at the back. Some traffic may have already passed the Forbes road red light (although they should be looking ahead and anticipating to stop) and have cars behind them so they can not reverse, at this point they are stuck and should position them self according. Not on the Forbes road crossing but just before it leaving the crossing clear, meaning just behind that car is a yellow grid slip route (which should be kept clear) to allow traffic to come out of Forbes road turn right only (yes I have seen people turn left). Leaving approx 2 cars from the yellow grid to the actual stop line for the lights where there would be other cars queuing.

The lights do not work in sync. If the lights at the chip shop are red and there is no vehicle coming from Forbes road and no one to activate the crossing, then the lights to stop the traffic at the stop sign before Forbes road will not be activated. This meaning that most drivers will and usually do que and wait, leaving the crossing and yellow grid clear. But the accidents happen when the drivers do not pay attention to the red light on the crossing, they see the chip shop green light go and the traffic move and then just set off.

---------- Post added 16-06-2018 at 16:40 ----------

The point I am getting at is that the crossing is not at fault, impatient drivers and pedestrians are. That area is perfectly passable for all if road sense and vigilance is used as it should be.

Edited by Colt

I am not confused at all, cars will follow the flow of traffic. Red light stops traffic at the chip shop crossing and traffic is still flowing at the back. Some traffic may have already passed the Forbes road red light (although they should be looking ahead and anticipating to stop) and have cars behind them so they can not reverse, at this point they are stuck and should position them self according. Not on the Forbes road crossing but just before it leaving the crossing clear, meaning just behind that car is a yellow grid slip route (which should be kept clear) to allow traffic to come out of Forbes road turn right only (yes I have seen people turn left). Leaving approx 2 cars from the yellow grid to the actual stop line for the lights where there would be other cars queuing.

The lights do not work in sync. If the lights at the chip shop are red and there is no vehicle coming from Forbes road and no one to activate the crossing, then the lights to stop the traffic at the stop sign before Forbes road will not be activated. This meaning that most drivers will and usually do que and wait, leaving the crossing and yellow grid clear. But the accidents happen when the drivers do not pay attention to the red light on the crossing, they see the chip shop green light go and the traffic move and then just set off.

---------- Post added 16-06-2018 at 16:40 ----------

The point I am getting at is that the crossing is not at fault, impatient drivers and pedestrians are. That area is perfectly passable for all if road sense and vigilance is used as it should be.

The fact remains that drivers shouldn't be there.

The conflict between pedestrians and drivers occurs due to a design fault which doesn't consider the way in which people actually behave.

In any case a car waiting at the crossing won't be traveling fast enough to cause serious accidents.

This is an accident blackspot ! I was in the traffic jam held up by this accident this afternoon. I have never seen so many police cars, must have been at least six, plus the ambulance, plus motor bike medics . Did not know it was an elderly man so hope he is ok.

I live in the centre of Hillsborough. I understand that the traffic builds up from the other set of lights at the end of Rudyard road and the green lights that filter before this crossing are quite a way back. There is a light on the opposite side to where your driving though giving you time to hold back and sometimes i wonder if people notice this!. You can wait (before the hatched area) for the buses exiting forbes road. What i notice a lot is that a car will enter the hatched area and stop then the bus exits forbes road and the car will drive through the crossing. Whilst this is human error sometimes of drivers and pedestrians. It has happened so many times on this crossing. So much so i always tell my children not to use this particular one! they use the ones before. Just because there is human error involved does not mean you can say this crossing doesn t need looking at because clearly it does! i also notice many a car that drives out of b&m and straight through those lights at natwest too. As an adult i find it dangerous never mind the kids that often have to use some of these crossings to get to school!