Bbc and grenfell coverage

Off the cuff, the Bradford Stand fire.

Angel1.

So we have to go back 30 years.

Off the cuff, the Bradford Stand fire.

The fire at Valley Parade got masses of coverage at the time, not least because with Hillsborough and Heysel, football ground safety was a big story in the mid to late 80s.

Three years ago on the anniversary, there was also a lot of coverage as well as two new documentaries and a book looking at failings with the original inquiry and revealing that the police have known the name of the man whose discarded match almost certainly caused the fire.

What are the other events that are just as important that don’t get coverage?

One of the events I was thinking of has been the link between deaths of vulnerable and disabled people very shortly after being found fit for work under the WCA. Tellingly the Government wanted to keep the figures private, but were forced to reveal them by the Information Commissioner. They also withheld information from the expert they hired to look into the WCA.

I'm old enough to remember programmes like World In Action that would've taken such a story, and run with it in a hard hitting manner.

Edited by Mister M

One of the events I was thinking of has been the link between deaths of vulnerable and disabled people very shortly after being found fit for work under the WCA. Tellingly the Government wanted to keep the figures private, but were forced to reveal them by the Information Commissioner. They also withheld information from the expert they hired to look into the WCA.

I'm old enough to remember programmes like World In Action that would've taken such a story, and run with it in a hard hitting manner.

So am I, John Pilger would be all over it back then.

Grenfell was an appalling tragedy. The news coverage has been dignified and proportionate. Anyone who is “fed up” of it needs to give their heads a wobble. The worst fire since WW2 is a shameful thing for 21st Century London.

If anything, the media needs to be more forensic in the next few days. People need to be prosecuted for their part in this. We need the media to be asking why this isn’t happening and not allowing the inquiry to kick the can down the road, as they often do.

I remember in the days following this tragedy that the news crews were heavily criticised by the local community for their intrusive & mawkish reporting.

Rose tinted glasses I suspect.

World in Action with a few notable exceptions, was largely sensationalist, tabloid nonsense.

I was watching the BBC News channel on Wed afternoon with all the covering of the Grenfell anniversary.

Surprisingly, newsreader Simon McCoy took time out to read a tweet from a viewer who wanted to remind everyone that 14 June was also the anniversary of the end of the Falklands conflict where 255 UK military personnel died.

I think we will just have to get used to it,as like Hillsborough it will still be going on in 20 years and people will be still looking for someone to blame.

No, not someone to blame. JUSTICE.

No, not someone to blame. JUSTICE.

There'll be very little justice,the people really at fault will get away with it,they will blame everyone else but themselves.

Once again the bbc have done to death another news item, the first anniversary of the Grenfell disaster, why o why do they have to do this with every big story, in the end we turned of the bbc news but then it was all over the radio,grr.anyone else agree?

Brace yourself for April next year.

What anniversary will it be then?

This morning it was the second anniversary of Jo Cox's murder. Lead story on radio Leeds.

30 years since the major incident at SWFC