Riddle Me This

Originally posted by "Moon Maiden"

Somone just mailed me for the answer.

Money

The key to this riddle is at the beginning

Religion = Faith & Belief

faith & belief are the basis to the system which in turn makes it a religion.

What is a piece of paper worth? If I hand you a piece of paper that has £20 written on it and then set fire to it - most of you will be gobsmacked or panic (particularly if it was your piece of paper).

The paper is worth nothing only your belief that it will get you what it says on there. You also have faith in the person that you give it to that they believe the same as you do and give you what you believe it is worth.

If people stopped believing in money then every country would fall.

Moon Maiden

Kind of beaten me to it - I was going to say DIY :)

Paper money is a promise, I promise to pay the bearer it says on it and we know that promise is made by the bank of england. Presumably, the owner of the note has worked for it (not stolen it) and therefore is entitled to expect the amount specified for the work done.

It is more than faith, it is the knowledge that the economy is strong and the bank is capable of paying because it is the law and the bank of england does not break the law.