Can mood swings occur BEFORE your first period

My daughter is experiencing some mood swings.Mainly varying from crying to being ok to throwing tantrums(She NEVER has tantrums).She's 12 and complains of a funny feeling in her stomach and THINKS she's going to be sick.(last time she was sick was about 6 years ago).Although this mood shift is gradual its over a very short period of time.Maybe a month.When she cries she often says she doesn't know why she's crying.She's not had her first period yet but can these emotions occur BEFORE her first one?

Edited by breathless

Have you considered that she might be having anxiety issues? It might be worth having a conversation with her about what is causing her mood swings. I'd also recommend getting advice from your GP rather than a forum.

Have you considered that she might be having anxiety issues? It might be worth having a conversation with her about what is causing her mood swings. I'd also recommend getting advice from your GP rather than a forum.

She has ALWAYS had slight anxiety issues and is rather shy.We're seeing a GP this week but I was wondering if mood swings caused by hormones can come BEFORE her first period.

I would have thought so, your first period won't happen without hormonal changes happening in the first place surely?

She's approaching her teenage years. It's normal to have mood swings around that age. See what the go says but it's likely just a normal part of growing up.

Kids are put under huge pressure at school these days. Its entirely possible she has a genuine issue that she is concerned about but doesn't know how to tell you or anyone else or even know that it is causing the feelings she is experiencing.