Lots of 2nd gtx 1070's available recently

as above, on ebay, gumtree, offloading miner rigs?

Probably and also trying to cash in while prices are still up. I bought mine brand new a while ago and paid £349.99 for a gamer OC edition yet these are used and still going for around £330 upwards.

I paid about 300 for one back in Feb lat year, for an Asus ROG Strix 1070

they peaked at over £700 for the same card as mine at one point!

I can FINALLY get a card at a reasonable price again. Stupid Cryptominers...

I have a 980gtx, is it worth upgrading to a 1070, or would that not be an improvement?

I have a 980gtx, is it worth upgrading to a 1070, or would that not be an improvement?

the 1070 is approx the performance somewhere between a 980 and a 980 Ti..

however, it's much more efficient, uses less power, is cooler, and has 8GB RAM instead of 4

Probably not worth the upgrade then tbh.

I suppose I could SLI them, but I have no need.

I was looking at this thread and yes, I'd say a lot of bit mining people are trying to off load their kit. Not sure why but I imagine that it's not the pot of gold it was made out to be.

I was thinking of upgrading my 1080 to the Ti. It seems the new Nvidia line has been put on hold so for now, that's not an option. I was thinking of the Vega 64 but it seems that's roughly on a par with the 1070... not sure how true that is. Only problem is, selling the 1080 that was a gift seems a bit like kicking the people in the teeth who bought it me (I know, I'm a bit funny like that)

My career in IT revolved round servers (basic graphics) so the jury is out. I'd need to sell the EVGA SC2 1080 to help fund the Ti... worth it?

I do use a 4k telly as a monitor

EDIT: Yes tzijlstra totally agree. The high end stuff seems to be £100-150 cheaper in the space of a month. I also blame manufacturers & retailers for hiking the price but I suppose that's business. If you can get it, you'll ask it.

Edited by zach

Probably not worth the upgrade then tbh.

I suppose I could SLI them, but I have no need.

Not really worth it, game has to support scaling on SLI, and in some games it can even drop performance...

I was looking at this thread and yes, I'd say a lot of bit mining people are trying to off load their kit. Not sure why but I imagine that it's not the pot of gold it was made out to be.

it's not that, it's the fact a new load of ASIC miners have been released which are (in some cases) up to 10x faster than GPU mining...

I was thinking of upgrading my 1080 to the Ti. It seems the new Nvidia line has been put on hold so for now, that's not an option. I was thinking of the Vega 64 but it seems that's roughly on a par with the 1070... not sure how true that is. Only problem is, selling the 1080 that was a gift seems a bit like kicking the people in the teeth who bought it me (I know, I'm a bit funny like that)

Again, like the 980 above, the performance gain from a 1080 to 1080 Ti, isn't really much of a difference, sure there is an improvement, but is it worth the price?

My career in IT revolved round servers (basic graphics) so the jury is out. I'd need to sell the EVGA SC2 1080 to help fund the Ti... worth it?

I do use a 4k telly as a monitor

I personally wouldn't say it's worth it, I got the 1070 before the 1070Ti was even announced, and sure, it would be nice to have a Ti, but I don't see that the difference is worth the time and hassle selling the 1070, and paying extra just for the Ti..

EDIT: Yes tzijlstra totally agree. The high end stuff seems to be £100-150 cheaper in the space of a month. I also blame manufacturers & retailers for hiking the price but I suppose that's business. If you can get it, you'll ask it.

the manufacturers never rose the prices, it partly the retailers (some), but mostly people buying them cheap to sell for more (because miners were paying higher prices for them) - then they sold out, so prices of existing (and used) cards raised due to low supply and high demand.. etc...

I personally wouldn't say it's worth it, I got the 1070 before the 1070Ti was even announced, and sure, it would be nice to have a Ti, but I don't see that the difference is worth the time and hassle selling the 1070, and paying extra just for the Ti..

And that's the argument I have in my head when looking.

As it's a 4k TV and not a high refresh rate gaming monitor, would I really see/notice a big gain. Would the games I play be that much better on the Ti... Tomb Raider, Prey and Resident Evil etc. I don't play many FPS online as I'm bad. My idea of gaming is a controller, can of beer and my ecig :hihi:

I hear you mate and advice taken onboard. I'll be honest and say it's still not out of the question though. But I do think that within the next year, we will see new offerings from both AMD and Nvidia so I may keep the 1080 until such a time.

https://www.videocardbenchmark.net/compare.php?cmp%5B%5D=3521&cmp%5B%5D=2953

Its has a faster clock, more memory, runs cooler and uses less power. When I first powered mine up, an EVGA with ACX 3.0 cooling, I let out a big sigh as I thought it was broken as the fans were not turning. Turns out that they don't kick in till the temp is up, and that was running Assassins Creed Origins at 1440p on full settings. Because of that even when they do kick in it is very quiet so to me that's a bonus. Just noticed however that they are still being sold new @ £544+ on ebay.

And that's the argument I have in my head when looking.

As it's a 4k TV and not a high refresh rate gaming monitor, would I really see/notice a big gain. Would the games I play be that much better on the Ti... Tomb Raider, Prey and Resident Evil etc. I don't play many FPS online as I'm bad. My idea of gaming is a controller, can of beer and my ecig :hihi:

I hear you mate and advice taken onboard. I'll be honest and say it's still not out of the question though. But I do think that within the next year, we will see new offerings from both AMD and Nvidia so I may keep the 1080 until such a time.

Stay with what you have. Both AMD and Nvidia are set to go on a new architecture in 2019 that should see significant improvements over the current generations, which is now getting long in the tooth.

I put a PC together with the aim of upgrading over time - I intend to use it as the gaming client in a streaming/recording setup with my Mac as the streamer/recorder. I bought to upgrade - a very nice Corsair case and PSU combo that was expensive but will last the next decade, a B350M AMD AM4 motherboard (The new 4xx series isn't yet a proven improvement), a best value AMD 2200G APU (which has the ability to play most current titles on 1080p with decent settings even without a GPU) and 8 Gb of RAM, I dropped in two SSDs I had lying around anyway. Over the next few months I will drop in a GTX1060, another 8Gb of RAM and get a video capture device. End of the year it will get a Ryzen 7 CPU. That combination sets me up for 2019, then by the end of that it will be upgraded with the latest MoBo/CPU/GPU.

Not sure why I told you that, just excited that I can FINALLY think about building a PC for reasonable prices again (although RAM is still horrendously expensive).