Rising Beer Prices!!

All beers contain chemicals mainly h2o, so called real beer will contain exactly the same chemicals of malt hops yeast and water.Which of the chemicals you object to?

I believe he's comparing the vast difference in taste and quality of the locally produced ales and the mass produced fizzy, keggy smooth-flow bland stuff..... and has a very valid point.

one of the worst beers I have ever tasted was brewed by Bradfield breweries and one of the best is Sam Smith's old brewery bitter for £2 a pint,he is also talking rubbish by saying mass produced beer contains chemicals but cant name them

Edited by nikki-red
fixed the quotes

one of the worst beers I have ever tasted was brewed by Bradfield breweries and one of the best is Sam Smith's old brewery bitter for £2 a pint,he is also talking rubbish by saying mass produced beer contains chemicals but cant name them

no he's not. Mass produced beer uses all sorts of substances to speed up processes, cut costs, etc. A very quick google search finds:

Betaglucanase

Ammonia caramel

Rhoiso-alpha acids

Sulphur dioxide

Protease

Amyloglucosidase

Propylene glycol alginate

Silicone

Meanwhile, if you think Sam Smiths is one of the best tasting beers, in a way you're very lucky, will save you a lot of money. Personally I wouldn't drink it for free, ghastly stuff

Edited by SteelCityAle

Golden Boot and Early Exit were both nice at The Closed Shop, as was the food!

The Golden Boot has now sold out but the new "Ace" (to do with penalty shoot outs apparently) is well drinkable.

Steel city ale:

I don't know how it's got my name against that quote, I think it was Choogling.... however, I do like Bradfield beers, a lot and also Sam Smiths Oak Cask is well worthy of the price, although Sam Smiths used to be awful stuff back in the 70's / 80's.

Steel city ale:

I don't know how it's got my name against that quote, I think it was Choogling.... however, I do like Bradfield beers, a lot and also Sam Smiths Oak Cask is well worthy of the price, although Sam Smiths used to be awful stuff back in the 70's / 80's.

Looks like the 'quoting' got messed up in an earlier post... fixed mine now anyway

Anyway, some of the Sam Smiths bottles aren't bad, but the draft stuff is universally terrible. There's a reason they can sell it so cheap - they spend sod all making it! Wouldn't give them my money anyway cos the owner is a colossal <insert expletive here>

Looks like the 'quoting' got messed up in an earlier post... fixed mine now anyway

Anyway, some of the Sam Smiths bottles aren't bad, but the draft stuff is universally terrible. There's a reason they can sell it so cheap - they spend sod all making it! Wouldn't give them my money anyway cos the owner is a colossal <insert expletive here>

Sam smiths is owned by a syndicate the largest shareholder is the universally hated Humphry Smith, they have over 200 pubs scattered all over the uk with quite a few in London. For a company that produces crap beer ,in the opinion of a few with taste bud problems, they are doing remarkably well .The Red Grouse at Stocksbridge has had the same management for the past eighteen years ,a record even for Sam Smiths and easily the longest managed pub in the village. What is even more of a surprise is that while the other pubs have big screen TVs, juke boxes, live music and discos as an attraction Sam Smiths have only got good quality beer and lager to tempt the locals in.Every item on sale is produced by the company including the crisps, made from potatoes grown on a farm they own. Old brewery bitter is sold for £2 and Taddy lager for £2.20,long may they remain the best pub in the village.

Edited by choogling

Hahaha are you actually trying to suggest popularity indicates quality? Priceless. They do sell on the old 'pile em high, sell em cheap' model. Selling a lot of beer doesn't make Sam Smith's quality any more than you'd call McDonald's 'food' quality. A few with tastebud problems? Erm. No. I'd say it's drunk by a few with either undeveloped tastebuds or perhaps just short arms and deep pockets

Hahaha are you actually trying to suggest popularity indicates quality? Priceless. They do sell on the old 'pile em high, sell em cheap' model. Selling a lot of beer doesn't make Sam Smith's quality any more than you'd call McDonald's 'food' quality. A few with tastebud problems? Erm. No. I'd say it's drunk by a few with either undeveloped tastebuds or perhaps just short arms and deep pockets

yes, if a beer is popular it must be good or it would not sell.

Sam Smith's bitter is OK I would say, an odd taste though. I'm never sure if I like it or not really! The pubs are a bit hit and miss. I quite like the Brown Bear sometimes but often it just seems like the Banker's Draft type clientelle, which is a 'no' for me.

What I don't understand is how they manage only to have their own beers on sale. Surely that was outlawed to do away with tied houses? I do like that aspect of it though - the corporate pub with all their own beers, fittings and signage etc. Just like the old days of Tetley pubs, Bass pubs etc.

But yes, I agree the price of beer these days is a bit mad sometimes. It's why we all sup beer at home much more than we go to the pub these days.

paid £5.15 for a pint of Tetleys recently at Whitley Hall.

paid £5.15 for a pint of Tetleys recently at Whitley Hall.

That's appalling. It's not worth £0.15 these days.

yes, if a beer is popular it must be good or it would not sell.

Total tosh.

The top selling beer brands in the UK are:

Stella, Carling, Budweiser, Carlsberg, Fosters, Coors Light and San Miguel.

So by your definition these are good beers?