Rising Beer Prices!!

I was astonished when I ordered a Guinness at the 02 Academy

Not as astonished as the barman. You're possibly the only person to ever have ordered a pint o' Guinness at the O2 Academy so the price includes a lot of wastage! :hihi:

Who was on- Chris De Burgh??

I was astonished when I ordered a Guinness at the 02 Academy last night and was charged £5.50. I'm not even sure it was a full size pint. The plastic pint pot it was served in looked like it held about 400ml.

On Sunday I was charged £5.40 and £5.70 for a pint at two different establishments in Neepsend.

Is this the way things are going? Will we see a £6 pint in Sheffield in the near future?

Trolling again I see.

Surprised you'd pay that much when you could by much more San Smiths.

https://www.sheffieldforum.co.uk/showthread.php?p=11941540#post11941540

And I trust stole the glasses from those Neepsend pubs.

https://www.sheffieldforum.co.uk/showpost.php?p=11941594&postcount=8

Edited by Longcol

Not as astonished as the barman. You're possibly the only person to ever have ordered a pint o' Guinness at the O2 Academy so the price includes a lot of wastage! :hihi:

Who was on- Chris De Burgh??

Somebody called Johnny Marr. If you had good music taste you will have heard.of him.

---------- Post added 14-11-2018 at 18:17 ----------

Gig venues, sport stadia, etc are always expensive. Compare this to getting a pint in a London stadium, not a pub

If that's true then contact trading standards. If it's sold as a pint but isn't a pint then it's illegal. Also draft beer may only be sold in multiples of a third of a pint or half a pint.

What beers were they? Not all beers are equal. I could show you beers in Sheffield for far more than 6 quid, and (IMO) worth every penny. Big difference between selling expensive beer and selling beer expensively. 5.40 for a bog standard bitter brewed round the corner is a rip-off. 5.40 for an imported small batch barrel-aged strong beer probably isn't. You might very well not want the latter, but there's plenty of other options

As I say, I could regularly point out beers for way more than that. The point is, having a particular beer on that costs 6 quid doesn't make the place expensive. If they're charging 6 quid for mainstream beer then yeah it's expensive, but I'll bet not many places in Sheffield are apart from gig venues and some hotels

I feel honoured that you have gone to so much effort.

---------- Post added 14-11-2018 at 18:18 ----------

who mentioned real ale? :confused:

You did. Every 25 seconds.

Somebody called Johnny Marr. If you had good music taste you will have heard.of him.

I have good music taste, and I've heard of him. Doesn't mean I think he's any good... ;-) but at least he doesn't hang out with that utter <redacted on legal advice> Morrissey any more

I have good music taste, and I've heard of him. Doesn't mean I think he's any good... ;-) but at least he doesn't hang out with that utter <redacted on legal advice> Morrissey any more

He does. They are making a new record together. It's going to be called "Belgian Blue Is For Wimps"

The personal comments and bickering ends here.

Back on topic please.

Keep it sensible.

Do you think £5.50 is a reasonable price for a pint served in a plastic pot?

Yes or No?

---------- Post added 14-11-2018 at 18:46 ----------

If he doesn't like BB he just went up in my estimation ;)

Are you not a fan?

I always assumed BB had legendary status in Sheffield in the same way Hendo Sauce does.

Edited by Edward Vimto

Keep it sensible.

Do you think £5.50 is a reasonable price for a pint served in a plastic pot?

If people are buying, then yes. If not, then no.

Most outrageous drinks price i heard was when Gatecrasher did a last minute event at the Plug recently and a can of Red Stripe was £7. I'd imagine Gatecrasher was running the bar, as they're the only ones to have the cheek to do that.

Are you not a fan?

I always assumed BB had legendary status in Sheffield in the same way Hendo Sauce does.

I wouldn't insult my toilet by flushing it with Belgian Blue.

It was over £5 for `beer` at the Manc Arena. Didn`t see Morrisey or de Burgh but Slayer were nice.

Sure, you can pay anything from £2 to £15 for a pint in Sheffield. However, the cheaper one is likely to have a lot less taste than the stronger one. And a third of the £15 beer is probably a suggested measure. Personally, I`ll drink a range of beers and the measure of each is determined by the type of beer and the price. We are lucky to have so many options in Sheffield, the envy of many a city.

Agree that the peaks can be disproportionately expensive, a tourist trap. Ditto with the food.

Oftentimes it's the cheaper beers with the stronger flavour.

That flavour being bleechh.