Rising Beer Prices!!

Unfortunately taking out the alcohol costs money... I've never tried it but involves expensive equipment). I'm guessing it also needs added preservatives

Another of my pet hates is the price some pubs charge for alcohol free beer.

As there is less tax on it them it should be cheaper than regular beer.

In supermarkets it generally is costing about 50p a bottle equivalent.

Starting with the good as usual spoons charge £1.99 a bottle for becks blue which I think is a fair mark up.

However many pubs charge the same as regular bottles so £3.50 or more is a massive mark up.

For people who can not drink for whatever reason I think this is unfair,drinking pop all night is not great and non alcoholic sales are on the increase.

I actually prefer becks blue to normal becks it has a very distinct taste worth trying if you fancy a cold one in the heat without the after effects!

TBH if I can't drink for whatever reason I often prefer a couple of bottles of tonic in a pint glass with some ice. Tastes better and more bitter than most non-alcoholic or low alcohol beers out there so helps keep a hophead happy. But it's also just as expensive.

I'm quite partial to some of those, but I had a pint of doom bar and I have to say it was the most disappointing pint I have ever had.

Doom Bar, how appropriate. Go out and buy a pint in your local, whilst it is still there.

I was astonished when I ordered a Guinness at the 02 Academy last night and was charged £5.50. I'm not even sure it was a full size pint. The plastic pint pot it was served in looked like it held about 400ml.

On Sunday I was charged £5.40 and £5.70 for a pint at two different establishments in Neepsend.

Is this the way things are going? Will we see a £6 pint in Sheffield in the near future?

I was astonished when I ordered a Guinness at the 02 Academy last night and was charged £5.50. I'm not even sure it was a full size pint. The plastic pint pot it was served in looked like it held about 400ml.

On Sunday I was charged £5.40 and £5.70 for a pint at two different establishments in Neepsend.

Is this the way things are going? Will we see a £6 pint in Sheffield in the near future?

If in Neepsend. Try the Gardeners Rest

https://gardenerscomsoc.wordpress.com Prices are ok

Morris dancers Video shows the outside and inside

Edited by steve68

I was astonished when I ordered a Guinness at the 02 Academy last night and was charged £5.50.

Gig venues, sport stadia, etc are always expensive. Compare this to getting a pint in a London stadium, not a pub

I'm not even sure it was a full size pint. The plastic pint pot it was served in looked like it held about 400ml.

If that's true then contact trading standards. If it's sold as a pint but isn't a pint then it's illegal. Also draft beer may only be sold in multiples of a third of a pint or half a pint.

What beers were they? Not all beers are equal. I could show you beers in Sheffield for far more than 6 quid, and (IMO) worth every penny. Big difference between selling expensive beer and selling beer expensively. 5.40 for a bog standard bitter brewed round the corner is a rip-off. 5.40 for an imported small batch barrel-aged strong beer probably isn't. You might very well not want the latter, but there's plenty of other options

As I say, I could regularly point out beers for way more than that. The point is, having a particular beer on that costs 6 quid doesn't make the place expensive. If they're charging 6 quid for mainstream beer then yeah it's expensive, but I'll bet not many places in Sheffield are apart from gig venues and some hotels

...bog standard bitter brewed round the corner...

Awwwwww. ;)

Hellfire .... It's the real ale bores!!!

Start a thread asking if beer is getting expensive in Sheffield...

...then complain when people who know what they're talking about comment... :roll:

With average price of beer in London coming in at £5.19 and in Sheffield £3.74 there's a while to go yet before Sheffield prices match London's. However, if they do, by then London prices will have gone up too. So, even if we do see an average of £6.00 the average price in London will be a lot higher.

Source: An article.