Garden Pond Fishy Question

Hi List,

I wonder if anyone on the list has a garden pond

and could give me advise.

I would love a garden pond as a feature in my garden

but know nothing at all about keeping fish outdoors.

What other equipment do I need other than a pond and a pump to air the water?

Also what do you do in winter with the fish?

Do you use outdoor heaters or perhaps the fish are removed from the pond

in the freezing weather.

Thanks

Hi Cher,I am no expert on the subject but I know you will need a pump and a filter to clean the water. In the winter the fish will go to the bottom of the pond and go into a sort of sleep,all you need to do is turn off the pump and filter and stop feeding them every winter. Oh yes and don't forget to cover the pond in Autumn to stop leaves falling in and polluting the water. Hope that is of help.

i have two ponds one with koi the other goldfish the longest been running about 7 years the other 5 years if you pm me i wil try to help

cher,visit some places and have a look raound first,lots of different choies out there:thumbsup:

you don't necessarily need a pump, but it helps. You can get oxegenating weed which keeps the pond clean.

It really all depends on size and what you want to put in it.

Hi Cher, I have a pond, I would advise you do some research before embarking on having a pond - they are lovely, I have koi that quickly become tame and a pleasure to have but you can't believe how much work actually goes into looking after them, from testing the water, to checking the filters etc! I have lost four fish since Christmas, which is mainly due to the change in weather etc - its heartbreaking. I do have aguy come round twice a year to general pond check for me, he works for himself - aquatic care, called Simon - give him a ring for advice - good luck :thumbsup:

I have a large koi pond so maybe i can help.

first if you want a pond dig it so its 60cm at its deepest part so the fish have somewere to go if it freezes and also make it as big as possible and do not place it under trees. Second invest in a good filtration system one with a uv so you do not end up with the dreaded green water third add plenty of oxygenating plants and can i also suggest you vist somewere like wayside watergardens or viscum before you do anything .

http://www.tetra-fish.co.uk/tetrapond/knowhow1/index.html

Hi List,

I wonder if anyone on the list has a garden pond

and could give me advise.

I would love a garden pond as a feature in my garden

but know nothing at all about keeping fish outdoors.

What other equipment do I need other than a pond and a pump to air the water?

Also what do you do in winter with the fish?

Do you use outdoor heaters or perhaps the fish are removed from the pond

in the freezing weather.

Thanks

my advice would be to start with goldfish which dont need much looking after. do a bit of research by checking the links people have given, too.

btw i love your signature, best sig ive seen on the forum so far :)

Hi List,

Thank you so much to everyone who replied to my posting, it was really appreciated.

I have recently moved away from Sheffield to Hornsea and I have decided to spend

time in the garden before doing anything with the house and I would really love a garden

pond but I have no knowledge about keeping fish outdoors especially when the weather

gets really cold.

Thank you for the link to the web site Stevie/d and I think the better option would be a pond liner.

When I have visited garden centres I am always attracted to the Koi carp but would think I would

have to learn much more before I could even consider these fish.

erino I really feel for you losing four koi since Christmas, how sad but thank you for letting me know

or I might have been very tempted to have bought a few Koi before I knew more.

I think my best option for this year is to start a pond and let the plants get established and think

about fish next year.

Thank you for your suggestion White rose with goldfish, mmmmmmm.

Wonder if goldfish are difficult to keep outdoors are am I best starting as a complete beginner to

just start a natural pond.

I never realized that fish hibernate in the winter thank you Mr.fogg they sound a bit like me.

Roger you mentioned that you had two ponds and I wonder if you started with goldfish first?

Pook I am now wondering about best plants to buy that look pretty but also to help oxygenate the water.

Thank you to everyone, that much wanted garden pond is now a step nearer

Cher