Beeley Wood weir.

Walking through Beeley Wood yesterday and got to the part just before Beeley Fabrications where there was a weir that me and my mates used to swim around back in the 80's, had great fun sliding down it in the summer, but yesterday i saw that it had been demolished in the middle part and the river just runs through it, my question being, when did that happen, was it during the floods a few years back, or did someone just decide it needed removing to let the water flow more freely??? Anyone any idea??

I think this may have been part of the Salmon run.

I think this may have been part of the Salmon run.

Enlighten me please????

---------- Post added 09-06-2018 at 16:41 ----------

Just looked on Google maps and it looks like the weir has been cut straight on both sides, so looks engineered rather than collapsed...

Same thing has been done on the river on Penistone Rd nr Neepsend. You can see it from Penistone Rd opposite the Skoda garage.

Yes it is to allow salmon to swim upriver, that is a little info board on the Middlewood road side of the river tell you about it.https://res.cloudinary.com/jpress/image/fetch/w_700,f_auto,ar_3:2,q_auto:low,c_fill/if_h_lte_200,c_mfit,h_201/https://www.thestar.co.uk/webimage/1.7839113.1460030933!/image/image.jpg

Fish, including brown trout and grayling, can now migrate freely up and down the river as it runs through Beeley Wood, to find the best places to feed, breed and shelter.

Project manager Anthony Downing said: “More and more fish passes are being built along the River Don. They are artificial channels built through or around weirs that allow fish to migrate. “Where weirs are no longer in use, as was the case at Beeley Wood, we are sometimes able to remove part of the structure instead of building a fish pass.

Weir removal allows free passage for fish but has the added benefit of also restoring habitat.

Quote from TheStar.

Edited by muddywolf

Enlighten me please????

---------- Post added 09-06-2018 at 16:41 ----------

Just looked on Google maps and it looks like the weir has been cut straight on both sides, so looks engineered rather than collapsed...

Muddywolf just confirmed it. To allow Salmon to swim up the river.

From what I understand, it is a concerted plan to return the river to a more healthy and natural state like it was in the pre industrial era.

Over the last three hundred years, most of the local rivers have been altered and canalised which made the water run in faster and in narrower channels to power industrial wheels. They put weirs and races in to control the water flow. They altered their course to provide more building land and less swampy areas.

As we saw in 2007 this can have devastating effects when there is a flood. Since then the River Authorities, volunteers and local council have been cleaning rivers, managing riverbanks and planning how the waterways can become more self sustaining and natural.

Therefore better for fish, less pollution and more protection from flooding.

Thanks peeps, all clear now, I didn't see the sign as we were on the opposite side, plus, finding out there is the possibility of salmon and other fish in there is cool, gonna have to go walking down there more often...:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Seen salmon jumping up the weir at Holme Lane corner - couldn't believe my eyes!

Seen salmon jumping up the weir at Holme Lane corner - couldn't believe my eyes!

Lindylou53, thanks for the heads up, gonna check that out...

If these fish are swimming 'upstream', where do they end up ?

Lindylou53, thanks for the heads up, gonna check that out...

Fancy a bit of salmon for your tea then :)