North South Divide - When is Enough Enough?

Or perhaps more people use it because with 4 times the level of spending it's much more useable.

Chicken and egg in my opinion. Do more people use it because it's better, or is it better because more people need to use it?

It's also not so clear cut as spending per head; London is an enormous tourist destination, so all those tourist users aren't going to be factored in the simple sum of £xx divided by yy population which is what I assume is being used.

It's not "more people" getting the same spend per head though. More people would result in more money obviously. But they get four times as much PER PERSON.

As an example of under investment in northern transport, consider the difficulty of commuting from Sheffield to Manchester. In London terms that's about the same distance of one side of the city to the other, zone 5 to zone 5. Look at the trains that run, the over crowding, under services, SLOW, trains. Imagine how much both cities would be improved by a fast, voluminous, frequent train link during commuting times. Leeds is a similar distance, but at least has somewhat quicker trains.

Edited by Cyclone

and look at the trains themsleves, rough, smelly and worn-out.

We were even offered decades old tube trains as an 'upgrade' ours are so poor.

It's not "more people" getting the same spend per head though. More people would result in more money obviously. But they get four times as much PER PERSON.

Just to put the maths in perspective for the_bloke - that would mean at any time there were three times as many tourists in London as the size of the local population.

It's also not so clear cut as spending per head; London is an enormous tourist destination, so all those tourist users aren't going to be factored in the simple sum of £xx divided by yy population which is what I assume is being used.

Don't forget the large number of people that travel to London from outside on a daily basis for work.

Don't forget the large number of people that travel to London from outside on a daily basis for work.

Made possible by excellent public transport.

If the work force in the north were more mobile through better transport (including roads) then there would be economic benefit for area. :thumbsup:

I live in the south and believe me 'the north south divide' only exists in the north of England. Your average southerner is indifferent to this

People who benefit from 'divide' aren't unhappy about 'divide'. Hands up if you're at all surprised by that revelation.

Made possible by excellent public transport.

If the work force in the north were more mobile through better transport (including roads) then there would be economic benefit for area. :thumbsup:

but Northern Powerhouse??? and other political empty promises

At least the revenues allocated to local authorities are fairly distributed by central government aren't they?

I live in the south and believe me 'the north south divide' only exists in the north of England. Your average southerner is indifferent to this

Because of course it's not a problem to them, they dont lose out...?

They do whine like anything when I travel south for the week to work. Comments about me plucking their nest and taking it back to my cheap massive house in Yorkshire come thick and fast...