Hallamshire Hospital drop in centre

Ive taken my daughter a couple of times, both on a weekend when the gp surgeries are shut, one for a ear infection and one for conjunctivitus, i have not got a bad thing to say about the place, lovely staff:)

I have only attended this marvellous clinic once which was last April. I suffer with asthma but under control with inhalers etc., I developed a bad cold on the Friday and by Saturday morning it had gone on my chest . I knew my bad breathing was not asthma as I was OK when sleeping and sitting it. By the Sunday I couldnt even manage to shower myself. So 10.30am Sunday morning hubby drove me there and I had all my drugs typed out on a list/ Hubby was parking car and I was helped in by a friend who happened to be there at the same time I was gasping for air and just shoved the list of medications to the receptionist by this time hubby had joined me and was able to answer her questions. I was impressed by the diligent care I was given after my own diagnosis was confirmed as my stats were normal and I didnt need nebuliser. I was given antibiotics and was asked repeatedly whether I was OK to go home but I knew I would be OK when antibiotics kicked in. The nurses were very very efficient.

i cant see the point of this walk in centre to be honest...i've been a couple of times for myself..my sons..and my hubby...to be told every time that we need to be seen by our own doc?? i thought this was set up initially to deal with people who couldnt get to docs or wen the doc was booked up??

I've been to the walk in centres at both Leeds and Sheffield. I can't fault their promptness and professionalism but they are severely limited in what they are allowed to provide. If they can care for you they are excellent. If they can't - and it genuinely surprises me at some of the things they aren't allowed to do, then it is a very frustrating waste of time. Rather than trying to second guess what they can or can't do I reluctantly clutter up my GP's valuable time instead.

I think (cynically perhaps and with absolutely no supporting evidence) that GP's might not be entirely keen on the walk in centres as they poach on what they regard as their territory.

as dan expained in his previous reply W-i-Cs have a secificd remit , other places you'll fiund they do a bit more minor injuries than Sheffield - but that's because of sheffield 's centre being where it is i.e. bang next door to the STH emergency Department run minor Injuries unit at the RHH.

to those posters says they are suprsied at what the W-i-Cs can't do - what particular things are they? W-i-Cs are just one part of 'first contact care' in the NHS along with the 24/ Primary care Provision staffed by Doctors - i.e. your own GP practice in the day during th week and the OOH service at night and wekeneds, the hospital Emergency departmnt bot th MIU and the main Emergency department and the emergency ambulance service - including their paramedi and emergency care practitioners

as dan expained in his previous reply W-i-Cs have a secificd remit , other places you'll fiund they do a bit more minor injuries than Sheffield - but that's because of sheffield 's centre being where it is i.e. bang next door to the STH emergency Department run minor Injuries unit at the RHH.

to those posters says they are suprsied at what the W-i-Cs can't do - what particular things are they? SNIP

Well I didn't particularly want to share this but I had a resistant verruca. It was painful and the usual over the counter remedies had not worked. The Leeds Centre were quick,friendly and professional but would NOT treat it and referred me to the GP. I rang the Sheffield centre who confirmed the position. They did give me a lot of self help advice but I had already tried that.

I agree with Dan that this is exactly the sort of piddling thing that GP's should want to avoid. So I don't quite understand why mine cited clinical safety as the reason when I raised it with her.

I was in and out in less than 5 minutes a month or so ago.