Hallamshire Hospital drop in centre

Hi, has anyone used the drop in centre at the Hallamshire hospital?

I need to go there on Saturday due to my doctors surgery refusing to see me as I'm not ill (long, long story that I won't go into now!)

Just wondering average waiting times so know whether to just take a pack lunch or tea as aswel.

Ta very muchly for any info.

I went there with a perferated eardrum a few months back and waited no more than 20 minutes. This was in the middle of the afternoon during the week. However, the nurses cannot give prescriptions, in my case for anti-biotics, so I had to go to my doctors anyway.

I went when I first moved to Sheffield as I wasn't yet registered with a GP and couldn't get in to see one urgently. As Markwit said, if you go during the day there are no Doctors there only nurses, so there isn't really much they can do other than tell you if you need to see your GP or not.

thanks for the info - I have the prescriptions already so just need a nurse to inject them! the GP's that prescribed them have refused to see me to administer them.

I've been a couple of times - seen pretty quick on both occasions.

Approx. 15 mins to see the triage nurse, then a short wait to see the nurse practioner (or whatever they call them) - very impressed.

I've been loads of times and it depends on the time of day you go I have waited 10 minutes during the day but over 90 minutes one thursday evening!

If you have to see a GP the out of hours guys that work 24 hours there then you will be in for a wait!

Also... one good thing they do is if you have no money on you (those of us who pay for prescriptions that is) they make you sign an I.O.U so thankfully they will still give you the pain relief or antibiotics !

Yes it is a good service. However i would advise you to check with your GP that the walk in can inject your treatment before going so you don't get further frustrated. Also from my experience saturday can get really busy. Suggest you get there at the crack of dawn. I think they open at 8am but check with your GP.

Hope all goes well.

Also would like to add that the nurses can prescribe but only under certain clear cut circumstances. They are all qualified to do so but have to work to clear guidelines. Therefore there may be times when they will refer you back to your GP or sometimes to the GP co-operative based at the Hallamshire. However be prepared to wait a very long time there.

But a god send out of hours service particularly when you have young children who may cause you concern one minute then recover thankfully at an amazing pace.

I've been a couple of times, once when I badly burned my hand and again when my boyfriend got a mackerel bone stuck in his throat(!) Both times we were seen quite quickly, I was given tons of dressings and what-not to look after my burn (for free!) and everyone there was really nice. Recommended.

Leah x

Also would like to add that the nurses can prescribe but only under certain clear cut circumstances. They are all qualified to do so but have to work to clear guidelines. Therefore there may be times when they will refer you back to your GP or sometimes to the GP co-operative based at the Hallamshire. However be prepared to wait a very long time there.

But a god send out of hours service particularly when you have young children who may cause you concern one minute then recover thankfully at an amazing pace.

I went a few years ago on a Saturday morning.. about 2002 I think it was. The nurse diagnosed a kidney infection straight away and gave me antibiotics (can't remember if I had to go to hospital pharmacy or not.. don't think I did).. whether she had to get it signed by a doctor or not I don't know, but I definitely got them there.

Always been a quick service when I've been.. 30mins max I think I've waited

Cosmic, surprised your GP won't do the injection if they prescribed them. How on earth do they expect you to have it done - or are you supposed to do it yourself? Don't they have a nurse at your GP surgery you can book with?

As someone else has already said, i'd check that someone will be able to do it for you at the walk in centre. If not, and you need to have the injection (assume you do as it's been prescribed) you can go to Casualty at the Northern General - you may have to wait particularly if you go over the weekend, but if you give them a call on Monday morning they have (or used to have anyway) some sort of clinic system. I know I had to go to them quite a few years ago to have some 'staples' removed after an operation as the hospital that carried out the op wasn't local and didn't send me home with the necessary staple remover so the GP couldn't do it, so told me to go to Casualty.

Sorry that was a bit long-winded! Hope everything goes ok.