RIP Peter Stringfellow

Remember the first all nighter with Ike and Tina Turner - 1966 (I think)

I have a few Sheffield facts from my dad who knew him in his youth. He passed his 11+ and got into Firth Park School but got expelled quite soon and ended up living away from his parents on Catherine St with other family members in Pitsmoor. As a kid he worked in a bread van and got his first taste of earning money. My dad said he had strange goofy teeth and was not a looker but was nice, his brother Jeff however was very handsome.

His first club was Days Dancing which became Mojos in Toll Bar/Pitsmoor. His first scoop was hiring the Beatles in 62 and the venue was too small so he moved it from St Aidens Church Hall to White Lane. This then was the BIG TIME....hope you got an insight...RIP Peter, God bless.

ps I once went to Stringfellows in London and asked as I was from Sheffield could I come in for free..they let me and fella in for free...big respect.

Did he own the Mojo Club in Sheffield? Sad news.

He started with the Black Cat club on City Road, in an old Church Hall, wih brother Geoff as DJ and his mother on the door.

Built it into a huge empire over the years, via the Mojo, Cinderella Rockerfella in Leeds, several other ventures, and finally Stringfellows in London, a favourite watering hole of the very rich and very famous. He takes credit for the being the first to introduce Poledancing and the 'lapdance,' whether that's true or not I don't know but it's typical of Peter to claim it.

Local boy made good.

RIP

One of ours. RIP Pete.

A true Gentleman , A true sheffield Legend

RIP Peter

Another nail in Sheffield’s 1960s coffin

True; but then that's what happens to all of us and- as in his case- several decades on. Sad, nevertheless.

A reyt Yorkshireman, and a son of Sheffield. RIP.

Angel1.

Rip Pete

By the way Ike and Tina Turner wasn't the first all nighter and he didn't run Days dancing.

He once borrowed £2 from me in the pub down the road from the Mojo - was it called the Tollbar?

Reminded him when we were in London for the millennium - so asked us to his club and a bottle of champagne

A good local guy !

I didn't get to hear about his death until someone mentioned it, late morning. I was genuinely shocked.

Great character & someone who worked their way up from the bottom, (no pun intended), through hard graft. A lesson for current wannabe celebs.

He once borrowed £2 from me in the pub down the road from the Mojo - was it called the Tollbar?

Reminded him when we were in London for the millennium - so asked us to his club and a bottle of champagne

A good local guy !

The pub was the Tollgate, the building is still there on Pitsmoor Road but hasn't been a pub for many years.