RIP Peter Stringfellow

Is Geoff still alive, the last I heard he was in a nursing home suffering from dementia?

Calahonda I was thinking the same thing about Geoff. I had a feeling Geoff was actually older than Pete, may be wrong though. I heard a few years ago that Geoff was quite ill. He was much quieter than Pete but also a very nice chap. It's not mentioned very often but Geoff was also very much a part of the Mojo Club back in the 60's. Always liked to stay out of the limelight but never the less a big part of the Mojo & I believe went into quite a few other ventures with Pete for a few years after the Mojo closed down. I wish him well & his family where ever they are.

Calahonda I was thinking the same thing about Geoff. I had a feeling Geoff was actually older than Pete, may be wrong though. I heard a few years ago that Geoff was quite ill. He was much quieter than Pete but also a very nice chap. It's not mentioned very often but Geoff was also very much a part of the Mojo Club back in the 60's. Always liked to stay out of the limelight but never the less a big part of the Mojo & I believe went into quite a few other ventures with Pete for a few years after the Mojo closed down. I wish him well & his family where ever they are.

Geoff was the brains of the family, and even if he wasn’t older, he appeared to be Pete’s big brother. He ran Stringfellows in London, Pete was the master at opening doors, Geoff was left to sort out the business end prior to closing them. Sheffield City Council treat them deplorably and did their upmost to run them out of town.

Pete was the oldest.

Thanks retep, I wasn't sure. Yes they did try & run Pete & Geoff out of town & the Mojo Club was the best thing that ever happened to Sheffield teens in the 60's. They were treated shockingly by the council & others. I have nothing but praise for the whole family to be honest as I frequented the Mojo for most of it's life span. Mr & Mrs Stringfellow were lovely people as were the boys all of them. Geoff's wife Maureen was also a nice lady. We were fortunate enough to reap the benefit of Pete being able to recognize & secure bands & singers that went on to become some of the most well known entertainers of today. Geoff probably was the brains behind the outfit & Pete certainly had the charisma needed. I & I am sure, many many other Sheffield (now 70 year old's haha) have very fond memories of Pete Geoff & the Mojo ....sorry KING Mojo Club.

I got to know Pete Stringfellow through my older brother who worked with him selling first aid kits door to door. Pete came to our house a few times and would always try and chat my sister up but she wasn’t interested,my brother helped him when he started with the clubs and my step father worked on the door. Over the years we lost touch till I started going to the Mojo for the all nighters which we would go to after the Esquire club and we would go into Pond street toilets to change into our suits. I went to his clubs in Sheffield and Leeds and was a regular in the Down broadway club/coffee bar which was the last time I saw him to talk with. There was 4 brothers Geoff Pete Paul and another brother who lived either on Parson cross or Shiregreen who I think had a problem with the family.I don’t remember their dad but I remember the mother who often worked on the door taking the money who we always called Ma. I have loads of memories of the days back then. Every time I saw Pete on the TV it would bring it all back.Alan P

Its such a sad loss. Alan P.

Awwwww this is so sad. May he rest in peace. :( :( 

On 6/7/2018 at 12:26 PM, St Tropez said:

I have a few Sheffield facts from my dad who knew him in his youth. He passed his 11+ and got into Firth Park School but got expelled quite soon and ended up living away from his parents on Catherine St with other family members in Pitsmoor. As a kid he worked in a bread van and got his first taste of earning money. My dad said he had strange goofy teeth and was not a looker but was nice, his brother Jeff however was very handsome.

His first club was Days Dancing which became Mojos in Toll Bar/Pitsmoor. His first scoop was hiring the Beatles in 62 and the venue was too small so he moved it from St Aidens Church Hall to White Lane. This then was the BIG TIME....hope you got an insight...RIP Peter, God bless.

ps I once went to Stringfellows in London and asked as I was from Sheffield could I come in for free..they let me and fella in for free...big respect.

My wife remembers him at his grandma with Terry and Geoff up Gleadless Valley.

Edited by desy

On 6/7/2018 at 12:26 PM, St Tropez said:

I have a few Sheffield facts from my dad who knew him in his youth. He passed his 11+ and got into Firth Park School but got expelled quite soon and ended up living away from his parents on Catherine St with other family members in Pitsmoor. As a kid he worked in a bread van and got his first taste of earning money. My dad said he had strange goofy teeth and was not a looker but was nice, his brother Jeff however was very handsome.

His first club was Days Dancing which became Mojos in Toll Bar/Pitsmoor. His first scoop was hiring the Beatles in 62 and the venue was too small so he moved it from St Aidens Church Hall to White Lane. This then was the BIG TIME....hope you got an insight...RIP Peter, God bless.

ps I once went to Stringfellows in London and asked as I was from Sheffield could I come in for free..they let me and fella in for free...big respect.

This is so interesting. I never really knew much about him where he grew up and the like. Haha they let you in for free because you were from Sheffield. Top choice lol. Fab post. :) 

5 hours ago, desy said:

He seemed like a really nice, down to earth bloke. :)

11 hours ago, desy said:
6 hours ago, TinStar said:

This is so interesting. I never really knew much about him where he grew up and the like. Haha they let you in for free because you were from Sheffield. Top choice lol. Fab post. :) 

The Stringfellow's first club was the Black Cat (St.Aiden's church hall City Road), followed by Blue Moon (Johnson Street/Nursery Street). The Mojo was the third one in 1964 (Pitsmoor Road) and then Down Broadway (High Street). Those four were probably just dance halls as they didn't sell alcohol. The final venture being the Penthouse (Dixon Lane) that did sell alcohol and could open until 2:am.

1 hour ago, St Petre said:

The Stringfellow's first club was the Black Cat (St.Aiden's church hall City Road), followed by Blue Moon (Johnson Street/Nursery Street). The Mojo was the third one in 1964 (Pitsmoor Road) and then Down Broadway (High Street). Those four were probably just dance halls as they didn't sell alcohol. The final venture being the Penthouse (Dixon Lane) that did sell alcohol and could open until 2:am.

I was a regular at St Aiden's , Pete perhaps we have met .

)es Albert, the Black Cat club opened in late 1962 but records only then, no groups. The Mersey beat era in 1963 when it really took off with groups coming from all over. In 1963 I saw the Searchers and the Hollies there who went on to bigger things (well so did the Stringfellows). The brothers left there  in early 1964,the place didn't close, infact it's still there as a church hall just Pete and Geoff moved on, I was at the same school (but younger)  as Geoff and he had the makings of a professional footballer but went to work at ESC Brightside with his dad.

Edited by St Petre
add