Shops 'bagless' policies

That's a wind up right? I refuse to believe you could be that thick.

How so, explanation please.

Angel1.

I used to that at ASDA but the checkout machines no longer allow you to weigh individual fruit/veg items.

Expect other supermarkets to follow suit. Too many thieves putting avocados through as carrots.

How so, explanation please.

Angel1.

Plastic doesn't magically appear, it takes lots of resources to make. Most single use plastics don't biodegrade. They are finding crisp packets on beaches from the 70s. A huge amount of plastic ends up in the sea, and then marine life - a whale died after consuming 80 plastic bags recently, a lot of fish we consume has plastic in it - I still can't for the life of me believe you aren't aware of any of this. Most plastics can't be easily recycled.

Paper can either be recycled or it degrades naturally. The trees for most paper bags are fast growing softwoods, or recycled paper can be used.

Whilst I take Robins point that they are heavier to transport, they have to be a better option than plastic.

Plastic doesn't magically appear, it takes lots of resources to make. Most single use plastics don't biodegrade. They are finding crisp packets on beaches from the 70s. A huge amount of plastic ends up in the sea, and then marine life - a whale died after consuming 80 plastic bags recently, a lot of fish we consume has plastic in it - I still can't for the life of me believe you aren't aware of any of this. Most plastics can't be easily recycled.

Paper can either be recycled or it degrades naturally. The trees for most paper bags are fast growing softwoods, or recycled paper can be used.

Whilst I take Robins point that they are heavier to transport, they have to be a better option than plastic.

" But paper bags are made from wood pulp. We are allegedly knocking down the trees that supply our oxygen. So paper bags are not a solution to the problem, are they?. "

I cannot see where I mentioned plastic in any positive way. And its a fact that paper is made from wood pulp, no matter where the wood comes from. I am of the belief that we are knocking down more trees than we are planting, which is not a good scenario.

Angel1.

" But paper bags are made from wood pulp. We are allegedly knocking down the trees that supply our oxygen. So paper bags are not a solution to the problem, are they?. "

I cannot see where I mentioned plastic in any positive way. And its a fact that paper is made from wood pulp, no matter where the wood comes from. I am of the belief that we are knocking down more trees than we are planting, which is not a good scenario.

Angel1.

Globally we are for sure, and SCCs chopping down trees around the city is well documented. But most forests that are planted for timber.

I read that they were black plastic bags, 17lbs worth of plastic in total. So Morrisons plastic bags are just the tip of the iceberg.

Morrisons bags that are used, instead of the 5p bags, are they plastic?

---------- Post added 08-06-2018 at 12:30 ----------

Globally we are for sure, and SCCs chopping down trees around the city is well documented. But most forests that are planted for timber.

I dont know the figures, but tree coverage of the earth is way down on what it was a century ago.

So - Morrisons stop supplying individual plastic bags for fruit and veg but just put all their produce in plastic bags instead! Biggest daft idea is supplying bunches of bananas pre-packed in plastic - why? It's not as though you even eat the skin which is nature's protective layer. Trying to buy loose fruit and veg is almost impossible.

We went shopping to Morrisons on Thursday, and there were rolls of plastic bags near all the loose fruit and veg... maybe your local store had just run out of bags?

I go to a proper fruit and veg shop, they provide paper bags .

I saw some plastic rain macs in a shop last week advertising them as throw away one use macs, why not have a pakamac that you can use over and over again.

My husband has just picked up prescriptions from lloyds chemist 2 large bags with 4 items in one bag and 5 items in the other.Whats happened to the paper bags they usually use.If i had been there i would have opened them and given them back.They are going backwards.

I used to that at ASDA but the checkout machines no longer allow you to weigh individual fruit/veg items.

That's odd because I bought loose bananas ( through the self service till ) at Chapeltown Asda a few days ago.