bus lanes in sheffield

I think motorcycles can only use the bus lanes where it is specified on the 'authorised vehicles' board at the start of the lane

Motorcycles can use all bus lanes in Sheffield, but not bus gates. Reason being, so I was told by a police biker, is the council wouldnt pay for new signage for the bus gates.

That can't be true SLH because the Council publish the details of all permitted vehicles on line. Motorcycles used to be able to use the bus gate and lane on the south bound section of London Road after Asline Road. But it got changed about 5 years ago. The sign never showed motorcycles.

https://www.sheffield.gov.uk/dms/scc/management/corporate-communications/documents/transport/roads-highways/bus-lanes/Current-Permitted-Vehicles--pdf--60-5Kb-/Permitted%20vehicles.pdf

Click that for the latest info.

It's the one on Penistone Road that I'm particularly interested in, I'm sure I've seen motorcyclists use it, but not many. I'll have to look out for a sign.

I'm not keen on the idea of filtering, and if I can get home quicker (and legally), being able to use the bus lane is a bonus :D

It's the one on Penistone Road that I'm particularly interested in, I'm sure I've seen motorcyclists use it, but not many. I'll have to look out for a sign.

I'm not keen on the idea of filtering, and if I can get home quicker (and legally), being able to use the bus lane is a bonus :D

I've just had a look on Street-View. Assuming it is up to date (which I think it is, as I don't recall any changes since the bus lanes were added to the northbound carriageway) there is a m/cycle symbol on the whole length.

Thought for the day. Take extra care at the break in the bus lane just before the Morrisons turn off. Most drivers are able to acknowledge that there is a bus in their nearside mirror before changing lanes on their way to Morrisons, but some seem less able to do the same for two wheelers.

I've just had a look on Street-View. Assuming it is up to date (which I think it is, as I don't recall any changes since the bus lanes were added to the northbound carriageway) there is a m/cycle symbol on the whole length.

Thought for the day. Take extra care at the break in the bus lane just before the Morrisons turn off. Most drivers are able to acknowledge that there is a bus in their nearside mirror before changing lanes on their way to Morrisons, but some seem less able to do the same for two wheelers.

Yay, that's good news, I am looking forwards to sailing past the traffic :D until I have to rejoin it again later :(

Good point, I will be extra careful there :thumbsup:

---------- Post added 25-02-2016 at 12:23 ----------

Yes you can use that one. http://www.google.co.uk/maps/@53.3967585,-1.4887111,3a,75y,344.24h,82t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1s83FaYTSlE7HgyaY4EJhz4g!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

It is one of the best roads to filter on though (and perfectly legal).

I think I will leave the filtering until I have gained more confidence riding.

Edited by Isabelle

I've just had a look on Street-View. Assuming it is up to date (which I think it is, as I don't recall any changes since the bus lanes were added to the northbound carriageway)

In the bottom right of the screen it says "Image Capture" along with month and year. In Ollie's link its Sep 15

I was told a few years ago, that if the sign says that taxis and cyclists are permitted, so are motorcycles.

Been using them ever since and never had a ticket.

I was told a few years ago, that if the sign says that taxis and cyclists are permitted, so are motorcycles.

Been using them ever since and never had a ticket.

Although I can't remember the details, there was the whole hoo-haa about the validity of the signage for the tram gate at Hillsborough. IIRC, didn't it finish up that m/cycles were ultimately barred, even though that hadn't been the intention?

Although I can't remember the details, there was the whole hoo-haa about the validity of the signage for the tram gate at Hillsborough. IIRC, didn't it finish up that m/cycles were ultimately barred, even though that hadn't been the intention?

You can certainly turn right from the Malin Bridge side at the Hillsborough tram gate.

https://goo.gl/G2rU4t