bus lanes in sheffield

The best place I know for the incorrect use of bus lanes out of hours s the stretch of road from Derbyshire lane, past Homebase down to Heeley Retail Park.

99% of drivers outside the hours of use, still insist in hogging the outside lane.

I would love the police to fine a few, maybe driving without due care and attention could be the cause.

That particular one is poor road design too. Using the correct nearside (bus) lane spits you into a left turn only lane into the retail park at the end. That layout seems to be based on the assumption that drivers will use the outside lane and in doing so makes it nigh on impossible to drive correctly, in the nearside at a max of 30, when others doing 40 in the outside lane would then make stopping in order to wait for a lane change a probability (thus obstructing left-turning traffic)

Ecclesall Road South is similar, the bus lane repeatedly becomes a left turn lane. The design is not conducive to using the bus lane outside operating hours

If use of these types of bus lane for moving traffic (rather than simply allowing its use as a parking bay) were to be encouraged, both lanes should cater for straight ahead traffic (at Heeley on a merge-in-turn basis)

Squiggs - well put, totally agree.

Posted from Sheffieldforum.co.uk App for Android

The signs are never very clear and the council is notorious for screwing over motorists. There was a scandal a while back where they did loads of people for cutting in a meter or two early to make a left turn. They restrictions can also vary over the course of a road, so can catch you out if you don't read every single sign.

Most users of the roads won't be regulars, so better safe than sorry.

'Never very clear' - are you having a laugh? Bus lanes have signs written in plain English which take seconds to read and understand. If you can't understand them you shouldn't really be driving.

Do away with bus lanes completely ,and there wont be a problem .

Oh but there would be - take Eccy Road - there'd be plenty driving all the way down in the LH lane - and then wanting to cut across a couple of lanes to turn right at the roundabout towards St Marys (and those in the OS lane wanting to turn L to go up Hanover Way).

that's the most sensible quote I have seen today also remove some of the pelican crossing and we all might be able to drive around more freely thanks bassett one

A lot of drivers are apparently too busy texting their mates to read the road signs

'Never very clear' - are you having a laugh? Bus lanes have signs written in plain English which take seconds to read and understand. If you can't understand them you shouldn't really be driving.

In small fonts, often obstructed by other useless street furniture.

As I said, the problem is they sometimes change over the course of the road, so you are always worried in case you miss one. Dipping into them always feels a bit like Russian roulette, which is why 95% of people just give them a wide berth altogether.

---------- Post added 24-03-2013 at 14:23 ----------

Do away with bus lanes completely ,and there wont be a problem .

Yeah, I don't see why tax dodgers get extra road privileges.

Until bus operators stop receiving their fuel tax rebates, there should be car lanes that they aren't allowed to use.

In small fonts, often obstructed by other useless street furniture.

As I said, the problem is they sometimes change over the course of the road, so you are always worried in case you miss one. Dipping into them always feels a bit like Russian roulette, which is why 95% of people just give them a wide berth altogether.

---------- Post added 24-03-2013 at 14:23 ----------

Yeah, I don't see why tax dodgers get extra road privileges.

Until bus operators stop receiving their fuel tax rebates, there should be car lanes that they aren't allowed to use.

Even if that were true (and I don't accept it is), then once a driver has driven the road once, they should know for future.

Are Sheffield drivers ignorant as to the proper use of bus lanes? Most of these (Ecclesall and Abbydale Roads are open to ALL traffic except at times clearly shown on roadside signs, and usually applies Moday to Friday only. I regularly use these routes and am suprised at how many drivers wont use them outside these times. Also it is a test failure to not use them when allowed. It indicates a lack of observation and knowledge of the Highway Code.

That would be because of poor lane positioning, and not because the learner has not used bus lanes just because he/she can.

Outside the hours of operation the bus lanes become available, which is not the same as saying they should be used, just as nobody would claim the inside lanes on Sheaf Street in front of the station should be used. The appropriate lane depends on the next move.

Anybody pulling into the bus lane on Ecclesall Road South, because they thought they should, just after the examiner explained that they were going to continue up Psalter Lane, should expect to fail. Ditto if they didn't pull into the bus lane if he/she was to continue down Ecclesall Road.

The signs are never very clear and the council is notorious for screwing over motorists. There was a scandal a while back where they did loads of people for cutting in a meter or two early to make a left turn. They restrictions can also vary over the course of a road, so can catch you out if you don't read every single sign.

Most users of the roads won't be regulars, so better safe than sorry.

Absolute rubbish.

The signs are the ones specified in the government guidance. They are what the Council have to use.

Can you provide details of this alleged "scandal" about penalising people for cutting in a metre or two early? Because I've never head of it.

Because I've never head of it.

I have, though i can't provide a link, but it did happen. Queens rd i think.