bus lanes in sheffield

I have, though i can't provide a link, but it did happen. Queens rd i think.

I recall such a thread, and a camera catching people cutting in a metre or two too early on the bus lane.

The best place I know for the incorrect use of bus lanes out of hours s the stretch of road from Derbyshire lane, past Homebase down to Heeley Retail Park.

99% of drivers outside the hours of use, still insist in hogging the outside lane.

I would love the police to fine a few, maybe driving without due care and attention could be the cause.

Why? I have been fined for using a bus lane when entitled to then moving over into the outside lane when you come to a left turn only sign. Are you saying the police should issue fines for people using a bus lane when they can do and also issue fines for people not using a bus lane when they can do?? :huh:

I recall such a thread, and a camera catching people cutting in a metre or two too early on the bus lane.

That's the one. And it was Queens Rd.

Are Sheffield drivers ignorant as to the proper use of bus lanes? Most of these (Ecclesall and Abbydale Roads are open to ALL traffic except at times clearly shown on roadside signs, and usually applies Moday to Friday only. I regularly use these routes and am suprised at how many drivers wont use them outside these times. Also it is a test failure to not use them when allowed. It indicates a lack of observation and knowledge of the Highway Code.

I had this conversation with a friend recently (whilst driving in the bus lane at an allowed time).

He doesn't do it, he stays in the right hand lane. Why?

Apparently because of parked cars (there were 2 I think), which makes it difficult for him to pull out do to traffic next to him (I simply poked the loud pedal for a second and pulled out into the gap, the alternative being to ease off for a few seconds and pull out into the other gap).

So, if he's any indication, he over estimates the number of parked cars and isn't confident enough in his vehicle/ability to pull out when he needs to.

Absolute rubbish.

The signs are the ones specified in the government guidance. They are what the Council have to use.

Can you provide details of this alleged "scandal" about penalising people for cutting in a metre or two early? Because I've never head of it.

Care to retract your first line planner ?

Linky.

Seems like hogging the outside lane is an epidemic that seems to affect a great number of drivers in Sheffield. Who taught these to drive? they obviously have no conception of correct lane discipline. They hog the right hand lane maybe because they have to turn right a mile ahead our frightened to use the left hand lane because there is a vehicle parked in it ten miles ahead!

Every morning i go to work down eccy rd towards town, drivers dont use the left lane even though its not a bus lane at the time.. Last week i got stuck behind a bus driving down right hand lane. That didnt wind me up ;).. then bus stopped without pulling in to the left hand lane.. That didnt wind me up either :rant:

Even if that were true (and I don't accept it is), then once a driver has driven the road once, they should know for future.

Sheffield must have millions of tourists - since some on here think that the people regularly flouting the Wicker bus gate and who ignore the "Bus Lane" sigs on other roads must be new to the city - couldn't possibly be local drivers could it?

Seems like hogging the outside lane is an epidemic that seems to affect a great number of drivers in Sheffield. Who taught these to drive? they obviously have no conception of correct lane discipline. They hog the right hand lane maybe because they have to turn right a mile ahead our frightened to use the left hand lane because there is a vehicle parked in it ten miles ahead!

Only a mile? I see cars almost every morning that join the parkway from the Mosborough bypass, then immediately move over to the right hand lane because they're turning right onto Derek Dooley way 2 miles further on.

This is at 6/6.30am when the parkway isn't even busy, I've long since come to the conclusion that most of the general public are a bit stupid.

Only a mile? I see cars almost every morning that join the parkway from the Mosborough bypass, then immediately move over to the right hand lane because they're turning right onto Derek Dooley way 2 miles further on.

This is at 6/6.30am when the parkway isn't even busy, I've long since come to the conclusion that most of the general public are a bit stupid.

Exactly the same happens on Halifax Road, seen many a car/van/truck dive into o/s lane where dual carriageway commences at top of Halifax Road (city bound) and still be in o/s lane at Shalesmoor when they turn right to head up Netherthorpe never once having been in n/s lane all the way. This can happen at all times even at 6am when road is relatively quiet.

The best place I know for the incorrect use of bus lanes out of hours s the stretch of road from Derbyshire lane, past Homebase down to Heeley Retail Park.

99% of drivers outside the hours of use, still insist in hogging the outside lane.

I would love the police to fine a few, maybe driving without due care and attention could be the cause.

You are right. I always drive in the bus lane at permitted times and get other car drivers acting as if I've done something wrong, box you in and make it difficult to move into the outside lane when you need to do so.

Care to retract your first line planner ?

Linky.

No

The thread you pointed out was one person making an unsubstantiated claim.

How is that a "scandal"?