bus lanes in sheffield

Are Sheffield drivers ignorant as to the proper use of bus lanes? Most of these (Ecclesall and Abbydale Roads are open to ALL traffic except at times clearly shown on roadside signs, and usually applies Moday to Friday only. I regularly use these routes and am suprised at how many drivers wont use them outside these times. Also it is a test failure to not use them when allowed. It indicates a lack of observation and knowledge of the Highway Code.

Are Sheffield drivers ignorant as to the proper use of bus lanes? Most of these (Ecclesall and Abbydale Roads are open to ALL traffic except at times clearly shown on roadside signs, and usually applies Moday to Friday only. I regularly use these routes and am suprised at how many drivers wont use them outside these times. Also it is a test failure to not use them when allowed. It indicates a lack of observation and knowledge of the Highway Code.

You need to meet Ousetunes, he has a bee in his bonnet about this as well.

The bus lanes on eccy are car parking outside peak times so bit hard to use them.

The signs are never very clear and the council is notorious for screwing over motorists. There was a scandal a while back where they did loads of people for cutting in a meter or two early to make a left turn. They restrictions can also vary over the course of a road, so can catch you out if you don't read every single sign.

Most users of the roads won't be regulars, so better safe than sorry.

Edited by Dan_Ashcroft

The bus lanes on eccy are car parking outside peak times so bit hard to use them.

Never seen any cars parked in the bus lane on the dual carriageway section from just before the petrol station to the roundabout by Waitrose, but most drivers won't use the bus lane there when allowed - but you're spot on about the rest.

Never seen any cars parked in the bus lane on the dual carriageway section from just before the petrol station to the roundabout by Waitrose, but most drivers won't use the bus lane there when allowed - but you're spot on about the rest.

That bit tends to be hard to use along with the whole junction as the stagecoach buses swerve into the inside lane just before to pick up Exeter Drive dwellers and then move immediately into the outside lane across all the traffic to go right round the roundabout blocking the whole kit and caboodle up.

God I love driving in Sheffield, it's just such a pleasure!

That bit tends to be hard to use along with the whole junction as the stagecoach buses swerve into the inside lane just before to pick up Exeter Drive dwellers and then move immediately into the outside lane across all the traffic to go right round the roundabout blocking the whole kit and caboodle up.

God I love driving in Sheffield, it's just such a pleasure!

for entertainment, you should try handsworth road, parkway to Woodhouse mill

You need to know exactly where the parked cars, right turning queues, bus stop round blind bends are, and which lane you need for the traffic lights, all without signage and without getting yourself boxed in, whilst trying to avoid being hussled up to doing 40mph as the road used to be, so locals refuse to acknowledge otherwise

Same at the bottom of Granville rd. good thing is though as they queue in the right hand lane it leaves the left lane free mostly free for me. :D

I regularly drive the section of Abbeydale Rd / London Rd between Broadfield and the ring road at a time when the bus lane is not in operation. The traffic is fairly light. I use the bus lane, but then notice that I often finish up with another car sat on my rear corner, in the outside lane. They are either not able or not willing to overtake, but stay with their nose level with my boot. So, if I come up behind a parked car or bus, there is a conflict as I wish to pull out, and we are both inconvenienced.

To these drivers, either get on with it and overtake or hang back. And if you are not overtaking, then get in the correct lane.

The best place I know for the incorrect use of bus lanes out of hours s the stretch of road from Derbyshire lane, past Homebase down to Heeley Retail Park.

99% of drivers outside the hours of use, still insist in hogging the outside lane.

I would love the police to fine a few, maybe driving without due care and attention could be the cause.

To be fair the signs aren't very large and the roads are so busy, and notorious for mongs just walking out that you have very little time to check the sign to see if you're ok.

I use them when i can, but tbh most of the time people park on them. A good example is Chesterfield Rd going past Homebase towards town, people barrel down the bus lane just to slam on their brakes when they get round the corner as there is always someone parked there.