Sheffield's New Lord Mayor - Magid Magid

What makes you think our American cousins over here don't fully agree with Magid?

If it's the same here as it is over there, Trump's approval rating is 48%. So its safe to say about half will be annoyed by the Mayor's posturing.

---------- Post added 04-07-2018 at 19:14 ----------

Go and read his Wikipedia page. I think he's a great choice of Mayor, with lots of admirable qualities.

I don't think so. The Mayor should have a strong connection with the city. Whether this is business, politics or anything else. He/she represents the city, he/she should be a good representative, a respected figure.

I'm sorry but the latest choice is just a chancer who's being used to ruffle some feathers. He has no respect for the role, no respect for the city and no respect for the views of the majority of the city's citizens who are flabbergasted by his choice.

Brendan Ingle (RIP) would have been a good choice. He did great things for the city and it would have been just reward.

---------- Post added 04-07-2018 at 19:15 ----------

Disrespectful to whom?

Everyone who respects the role. He is disrespectful.

It matters not what views you hold on Trump,the point is this Sheffield lord mayor does not have the office or authority to ban anyone,its seems he has more assumed clout than is reality.

The problem is that most of the clowns who run our Cities ,media , Government and social services like to show that they are politically correct . This means that they import people into jobs who have no idea as to how our Country, Town or system has evolved over many years . Thousands of Sheffielders who have grafted in the industries that made this City famous are ignored when it comes to dishing these cushy numbers out , Instead we get individuals who are shoe horned into local Council jobs who's only qualification is that they come from a minority be it ethnic or other at the expense of better qualified folk be that in local matters or education.

The Mayor should have a strong connection with the city. Whether this is business, politics or anything else. He/she represents the city, he/she should be a good representative, a respected figure.

Being as its only a token position as honorary Lord Mayor I don't think it matters much but I do actually think the role needs axing. Its time we ceased all this fake pomp ceremony anyway as this is now 2018 and the money could be better used. In any case people have just voted in Dan Jarvis, a staunch Labour politician and MBE holder, as Sheffield City Region mayor.

The problem is that most of the clowns who run our Cities ,media , Government and social services like to show that they are politically correct . This means that they import people into jobs who have no idea as to how our Country, Town or system has evolved over many years . Thousands of Sheffielders who have grafted in the industries that made this City famous are ignored when it comes to dishing these cushy numbers out , Instead we get individuals who are shoe horned into local Council jobs who's only qualification is that they come from a minority be it ethnic or other at the expense of better qualified folk be that in local matters or education.

He stood as a councillor, got elected and then became mayor. Nobody shoehorned him into any job.

So on the one hand, you're telling immigrants they should integrate more.

And on the other hand, you're telling immigrants they should never attempt to integrate at all.

Please, choose an argument, and stick to it :roll:

I have no problem at all with the way the role was awarded,but I have a real issue with his assumption of power.

Being as its only a token position as honorary Lord Mayor I don't think it matters much but I do actually think the role needs axing. Its time we ceased all this fake pomp ceremony anyway as this is now 2018 and the money could be better used. In any case people have just voted in Dan Jarvis, a staunch Labour politician and MBE holder, as Sheffield City Region mayor.

I agree about axing the role. I've sent a message to Dan asking him what he thinks about the situation.

The role should be none political as it is. The Mayor is the face of the city. It will get awkward if someone comes who has a different opinion to him.

Didn't he also say he wanted to axe the monarchy?

---------- Post added 04-07-2018 at 19:49 ----------

He stood as a councillor, got elected and then became mayor. Nobody shoehorned him into any job.

It's very bad for already shaky race relations. Just look at the comments online.

---------- Post added 04-07-2018 at 19:54 ----------

It's going all over the place. Those photographs are not a good look. What on earth are the council going to do.

https://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/news/uk/sheffield-lord-mayor-bans-donald-trump-from-city-ahead-of-uk-visit-37081055.html

If it's the same here as it is over there, Trump's approval rating is 48%. So its safe to say about half will be annoyed by the Mayor's posturing.

Trump is actively threatening the jobs of the regions workforce by introducing tariffs on UK steel and engineering products.

Trump has the lowest approval rate of any President this century at 41% at this stage in the Presidency. Most of this support is Republican loyalty and not support for policy Source

Also Democrat voters are more likely to have a passport and so it is very unsafe to assume that about 50% will be annoyed.

Traditionally American Presidents are shown immense loyalty from their citizens- this ended with the Alt right attack on Obama

It’s looking like the Labour left has claimed him as one of their own, which of course he isn’t, but does he care, I doubt it?

Annie - I saw the 48% quoted today on TV. Can't remember the show though, might have been All Out Politics. The guy was also saying he expects Trump to win another turn. I don't know the truth in that.... but none of it matters really. Do you think the Mayor is a good representative of the city... businesses wanting to relocate here etc?

He's doing an absolutely terrible job of bringing people together, he's too divisive... He doesn't believe in the Royal Family... that's fair enough as a personal view... but the Royal family come here sometimes.... it's all just too embarrassing.

That's the best way to describe how I feel, embarrassed..

---------- Post added 04-07-2018 at 20:03 ----------

Trump is actively threatening the jobs of the regions workforce by introducing tariffs on UK steel and engineering products.

Trump has the lowest approval rate of any President this century at 41% at this stage in the Presidency. Most of this support is Republican loyalty and not support for policy Source

Also Democrat voters are more likely to have a passport and so it is very unsafe to assume that about 50% will be annoyed.

Traditionally American Presidents are shown immense loyalty from their citizens- this ended with the Alt right attack on Obama

Why are Democrat voters more likely to have a passport?