Sheffield's New Lord Mayor - Magid Magid

well now tell me what a somalian refugee at 28 years of age got to offer and what credentials to hold office apart from the PC angle?? as for how he was dressed is disrespectful to the office.

Ha ha!

I bet you'd love to go back to the Red Riding times of the 1970s where 90% of councillors were overweight, white men wearing shiny, ill fitting suits whose idea of civic duty was to take a bung to sort planning approval for their mates.

Why? It isnt the 1850s any more you know.

But as we're approaching 180 years that the role has been around, while times, people & society change, surely the role itself deserves to be treated with a bit of dignity?

Presumably if you're Lord Mayor & you turn up at some event, you would expect a greeting of 'Afternoon Mr / Madam Mayor', not someone looking at you & saying, 'Thanks for turning up, mate'?

But as we're approaching 180 years that the role has been around, while times, people & society change, surely the role itself deserves to be treated with a bit of dignity?

Presumably if you're Lord Mayor & you turn up at some event, you would expect a greeting of 'Afternoon Mr / Madam Mayor', not someone looking at you & saying, 'Thanks for turning up, mate'?

Not everyone is comfortable with formalities. I would more than certainly prefer the latter.

Baron99

it would take you all of 10 seconds to google 'magid magid' and you can see photo's of him dressed in all the traditional frilly lace and tricorn, or a modern suit, or a sensible jumper.

he poses for a few photos wearing a t-shirt and some baggy trousers, and some people's heads explode.

and listen to him talk, he's thoroughly polite and respectable.

Absolutely disgusted by some of the comments and letters written about the lord mayor.

I found it particularly sad that in a week when we lost Brendan Ingle, someone Sheffield is rightly proud of and you guessed it, an immigrant - some folk thought it acceptable to have a go at the lord mayor for his background.

Had the chance to meet the guy a few weeks ago at an event and what a thoroughly decent human being he is.

He's probably already connected with more young people than most lord mayors and has helped raised Sheffield's profile, in my opinion in a positive way.

Time to get behind the Lord Mayor. I have no idea how the Mayor is appointed, but this guy got the nod and seems to want to put his stamp on the position.

Angel1.

I wager that the OP didn’t anticipate so many supporting posts from such a diverse membership of this forum. ;)

thin end of the wedge?? are my thoughts for a once great city:roll:

Why so realcockney? What are you so afraid of?

---------- Post added 05-06-2018 at 18:26 ----------

Not too keen on his photo-opportunity squatting on the town hall staircase, he may actually make local politics more relevant to young people, etc, but some level of decorum is needed.

Oh please...

Its not the only example, others have been much worse.

Sheffield's new Lord Mayor Magid Magid determined to push on representing city despite racist abuse

https://www.thestar.co.uk/news/sheffield-s-new-lord-mayor-magid-magid-determined-to-push-on-representing-city-despite-racist-abuse-1-9190715

Even the coolest mayor in the country has to put up with racist knuckle draggers

https://metro.co.uk/2018/05/31/even-coolest-mayor-country-put-racist-knuckle-draggers-7592744/

These are also not examples of abuse. If the man has been subject to any abuse then this is completely inexcusable. Again; somebody voicing their opinion, however despicable we think it may be, is not abuse.

Personally, I wish him all the best. The man has an infectious smile and he looks like he will bring great enthusiasm to the role. I met one of Sheffield's mayors a couple of years ago on an official engagement who had no idea where she was and despite the early hour appeared to be suffering from the effects of alcohol. I'm fairly sure this is unlikely to happen to Mr Majid.

These are also not examples of abuse. .

I agree that neither of those pieces referred to any specific abusive messages - but I think it would be a very naive person indeed who would think there haven't been any.

---------- Post added 05-06-2018 at 18:52 ----------

Time to get behind the Lord Mayor. I have no idea how the Mayor is appointed, but this guy got the nod and seems to want to put his stamp on the position.

Angel1.

If there was a like button I would have liked this comment. I know we clash a lot Angel1, but I don't think you're a bad bloke, just rather old fashioned sometimes, so yeah, this was refreshing.

Does this position come with a salary ?

He's off to Europe already...