Sheffield's New Lord Mayor - Magid Magid

On 25/05/2019 at 16:45, ads36 said:

You do know that lord mayors* only hold the post for 1 year, right?

Yes, he left the post after one year, they all do/will. Are they quitters too?

(* Lords mayor ... ? Is it one of 'those' plurals ?)

Wikipedia page on Lord Mayor of London has "Lord Mayors" but "Lords Provost" for Scotland

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lord_Mayor_of_London

On 25/05/2019 at 23:21, makapaka said:

Magnificent mayor.

The only one I could name in 30 years. 

Positive, championed Sheffield.

wel done magid.

Hmmm... :huh:

... I don't think anyone is disputing the fact that he was good at self-promotion! :roll:

I think the comment that MM is only mayor who’s name can be remembered in 30 years is very disrespectful to the previous servants of  the office.

8 hours ago, prince al said:

I think the comment that MM is only mayor who’s name can be remembered in 30 years is very disrespectful to the previous servants of  the office.

But it's true - I couldn't name a single previous lord mayor we have had, other than MM, I never really liked him from what I saw tbh, but it's still true that more people probs know who he is than any previous lord mayor....

4 hours ago, Ghozer said:

But it's true - I couldn't name a single previous lord mayor we have had, other than MM

Me neither, and I met the one before him on 2 occasions. Still no idea what her name is

Edited by slh73

Had the pleasure of meeting MM through work and also recently bumped into him in train station early one morning and my opinion of him is that he is a very decent human being, he is proud to call Sheffield his home and recognises he is who he is at least partly because of calling our city his home.

He has engaged with a broad range of communities and groups during his time as Lord Mayor and has probably done more to encourage young people to engage in politics than anyone else I can think of. The letter he wrote when leaving office was awesome and made me proud to be from Sheffield like him (not least for him calling out Nottinghamshire for their cultural appropriation of Robin Hood).

This 'he was disrespectful to the role' bobbins is exactly that. It's a ceremonial role aimed at raising the profile of the city and of charities and groups working in the city - job done. Lets not forget Hartlepool had 'Angus the Monkey as a mayor at one point, and they're not the only town or city to have a celeb or mascot as a mayor.

People walking around in outfits like it's the 18th century, be that the lord mayor or those in the houses of parliament is part of the reason many people feel little or no connection to those institutions, so well done to MM for being himself.

Yeah, you might not like all of his politics but as he said not long after taking office he was just going to be true to himself as he couldn't please everyone - the current Labour leader and Tory leadership candidates might want to try some of that instead of scrambling over each other to try and harness the populist fervour of the day.

Voted Labour all of my life but I didn't at the EU elections as I wanted to be represented by someone who cares about Sheffield and society as a whole, delighted MM got in.

On 25/05/2019 at 14:01, GingerR said:

My objection to him is that he’s used the office of Mayor to facilitate self publicising and attention grabbing stunts and not much else. He well overstepped his authority on the Trump visit and has been an extremely divisive figure because of his aggressive baiting of anybody who doesn’t have the politics of a particularly excitable left wing sixth former.

I saw his programme for the upcoming year which was to go out fact finding, meeting with lots of different community groups like churches, mosques, community centres and I thought, great. He’s finally getting down to some proper work which can potentially make a real difference in Sheffield. The project genuinely sounded like one which could have had real legs and been really effective. And what did he do? Quit. He’s wasted the time of the groups he’d already met and let down the ones he hadn’t. He wasted a lot of council time and resources on that project then ditched it.

He doesn’t care about Sheffield, be’s a goady self publicist on the make. That’s it.

At a time of great division and increasingly polarised politics he’s probably the worst possible Mayor we could have had, he’s deliberately divisive and controversial to attract attention to himself.

He’s given extreme lefties (mainly students) a chance for childish tittering at his antics for the last year but that’s about it.

I sincerely hope the next Mayor is someone who can bring all the people together rather than someone who deliberately divides us for the sake of personal self promotion.

The Sheriff's near, right?

He conducted himself eloquently on BBC Breakfast this morning.

True you remember his name, but is this for the right reasons?   I will remember this person for behaving  like an  undisciplined four year old, with feet on furniture (which would have gained a smack from my mother). 

Edited by kaytie

7 hours ago, kaytie said:

True you remember his name, but is this for the right reasons?   I will remember this person for behaving  like an  undisciplined four year old, with feet on furniture (which would have gained a smack from my mother). 

I think that's really pathetic.

20 hours ago, Black Brick said:

I cant see how he has made a jot of difference anywhere

And the difference any of the previous mayors made was ....?