Sheffield's New Lord Mayor - Magid Magid

55 minutes ago, Hots on said:

If he was dressing and acting silly and wearing a sombrero while doing his job, I guarantee you he would have got  grief, Probably more grief actually, Majid being black probably subdued  criticism from some for fear of being called racist. 

You took the words right out of my mouth.    Anyone, male/female, black/white/orange  who made such a spectacle of themselves would have got critiscism from me for making a mockery of the role.

28 minutes ago, Halibut said:

Do you really need a counter argument to something so blatantly the preserve of idiots?

Hmmm... :huh:

... well I think yes you do!

If you go around calling everyone who disagrees with you a 'racist' (or an 'idiot') then the terms lose their effectiveness and no longer mean anything.

They reflect more on the caller's inability to enunciate than the callee's lack of understanding.

There used to be a sort of 'stigma' attached to being called a 'racist', and rightly or wrongly, this may have suppressed some people's thoughts (or at least the expression of those thoughts) but because it's so widely used now by people of limited vocabulary then it no longer has the same effect...

... which may be one reason why we seem to be experiencing an increase in 'racism'?

Maybe it's become self-perpetuating?

The more people that get called 'racist', then the more people who are likely to exhibit that behaviour?

Just a thought... :|

31 minutes ago, Mr Bloke said:

If you go around calling everyone who disagrees with you a 'racist' (or an 'idiot') then the terms lose their effectiveness and no longer mean anything.

I only ever use the term where it's appropriate.

They reflect more on the caller's inability to enunciate than the callee's lack of understanding.

You're using enunciate incorrectly.

The more people that get called 'racist', then the more people who are likely to exhibit that behaviour?

Utter nonsense.

Just a thought... :|

A patently absurd thought.

10 minutes ago, Halibut said:

A patently absurd thought.

Hmmm... :huh:

... well I suppose 'patently absurd' is better than 'idiotic'?

You see, even you can do it with a bit of effort! :D

Posts have been removed. Discuss the subject, not each other please.

On 14/02/2019 at 18:29, max said:

Tony's a good bloke but you're right, his appearance will probably satisfy the less forgiving on here who will probably retreat back into the woodwork following their brief flurry of interest in 'politics'.

Even tough i despise Labour and everything they stand for, it will be good to see a Lord Mayor in a suit and respecting the position , instead of an overgrown kid who disrespects the role by dressing like a  fifteen year old chav. 

16 hours ago, Penistone999 said:

Even tough i despise Labour and everything they stand for, it will be good to see a Lord Mayor in a suit and respecting the position , instead of an overgrown kid who disrespects the role by dressing like a  fifteen year old chav. 

Yes and not standing on every ornate table in the city. This guy has no respect for property. If I crouched on a table like that my dad would have rightly given me a thick ear. 

Brilliant piece about him on calendar last night showing his day - absolutely brilliant with kids, engaging with the public when they grabbed him in town and working with the vulnerable and excluded. To cap it off very articulate and understanding that he's not everyone's cup of tea and people won;t necessarily agree with him - but you can't argue he's got more people interested in local politics. Tough act to follow.

4 hours ago, Eccy Beach said:

Brilliant piece about him on calendar last night showing his day - absolutely brilliant with kids, engaging with the public when they grabbed him in town and working with the vulnerable and excluded. To cap it off very articulate and understanding that he's not everyone's cup of tea and people won;t necessarily agree with him - but you can't argue he's got more people interested in local politics. Tough act to follow.

Tough act to follow? 

I hear Timmy Mallet's not got much on these days. Would we notice the difference? 

9 minutes ago, Baron99 said:

Tough act to follow? 

I hear Timmy Mallet's not got much on these days. Would we notice the difference? 

Due to your irresponsible post I have now spat my custard creams all over our dog 😂

54 minutes ago, Baron99 said:

Tough act to follow? 

Pour scorn all you like but whichever 'grey suit' gets it next they'll do well to get as much media coverage as Mr Majid has and to have as positive an influence on young people.