Sheffield's New Lord Mayor - Magid Magid

53 minutes ago, Mister M said:

I agree. He's certainly a very charismatic person, and a breath of fresh air. His successor will have very big shoes to fill.

Hmmm... :huh:

... well I'm quite looking forward to the reaction his successor might get if he also turns up wearing a sombrero and starts putting his size 10's on council furniture.

I'm betting he'd soon be carted off to some dark corner of the Town Hall and told to act his age and not his shoe size... :roll:

At least old Majid stirred the hornets nest with his rather unusual slant as Mayor. Like or loath him you have to admit he was/is different to any Mayor ever to serve Sheffield, probably even any where in the Country.

Angel1

48 minutes ago, ANGELFIRE1 said:

At least old Majid stirred the hornets nest with his rather unusual slant as Mayor. Like or loath him you have to admit he was/is different to any Mayor ever to serve Sheffield, probably even any where in the Country.

Angel1

Wow don't tell me we almost agree on something

8 hours ago, Delayed said:

Chances are his successor won't fall into a minority category, so won't be as popular

....with racists

There, finished it off for you

Guest makapaka

He’s been fantastic - the first mayor we’ve ever had to truly make a difference- I wish he was staying.

3 hours ago, melthebell said:

Wow don't tell me we almost agree on something

....with racists

There, finished it off for you

Adding your own slant doesn't change my original post. Counter it with an original comment or don't bother

6 hours ago, Delayed said:

Adding your own slant doesn't change my original post. Counter it with an original comment or don't bother

If you're trying to pretend that Magid would have had anything like the amount of grief had he been white you're dangerously naive.

1 hour ago, Holiday1166 said:

The race card 

It's true though - he wouldn't be getting half the grief if he were a white man. You saying ''the race card'' doesn't actually mean anything does it?

1 hour ago, Holiday1166 said:

The race card 

The only reason he's of interest to certain people is his colour, race, religion and the fact he's an immigrant. They never ever bothered with any other mayor, Polly couldn't even name you one

2 hours ago, Halibut said:

If you're trying to pretend that Magid would have had anything like the amount of grief had he been white you're dangerously naive.

If he was dressing and acting silly and wearing a sombrero while doing his job, I guarantee you he would have got  grief, Probably more grief actually, Majid being black probably subdued  criticism from some for fear of being called racist. 

Edited by Hots on

13 minutes ago, Hots on said:

If he was dressing and acting silly and wearing a sombrero while doing his job, I guarantee you he would have got  grief, Probably more grief actually, Majid being black probably subdued  criticism from some for fear of being called racist. 

... but is there any 'fear' associated with being called a 'racist' anymore?

It's a term that's now being lazily thrown about by those who don't have the mental capacity to formulate a counter argument, and as such is becoming just another tired old cliche... :roll:

41 minutes ago, Mr Bloke said:

... but is there any 'fear' associated with being called a 'racist' anymore?

It's a term that's now being lazily thrown about by those who don't have the mental capacity to formulate a counter argument, and as such is becoming just another tired old cliche... :roll:

Do you really need a counter argument to something so blatantly the preserve of idiots?