Sheffield's New Lord Mayor - Magid Magid

3 hours ago, woodmally said:

Whats the point with the announcement I thought no mayor stood more than one term of office.

i think you missed the point

as usual

Mayors only serve one term i believe? each party gets a turn. how i read Alchs link, hes standing down from politics (not just as mayor), prolly fancies more tv and other things maybe? maybe more charity work and expeditions? maybe open a hat shop?

20 minutes ago, taxman said:

He's been a breath of fresh air and a lovely bloke.

doubt many mayors would get 7 posts on here let alone 77 pages lol

1 hour ago, alchresearch said:

No disrespect to his successor, but from the look of him I get the impression it will be back to the old ways.  I can't see him wearing DMs or silly hats and posing on tables.

Tony's a good bloke but you're right, his appearance will probably satisfy the less forgiving on here who will probably retreat back into the woodwork following their brief flurry of interest in 'politics'.

There was a story in the news about him refusing to wear a poppy which did  offend a lot of people, just as his work and flamboyant persona has impressed a lot of people. Working in a public office will always be a catch 22 position.

Said it many months ago on here when he was first appointed as Lord Mayor.  The man's a bit of a chancer.  He's already had a brief bit of tv fame, having appeared on the 'Hunted' programme.  

Minor 'D' list celebrity status beckons for a  year or so & his 'love' for Sheffield will soon be forgotten, as he tries to make it in London town & no doubt will his 'Green' credentials will quickly go out the window.  Trouble is thee is now a great deal of competition among chancers who want their 15 mins of fame & old Majid, approaching 30 is a bit of a late starter in the media game. Only thing I can see him being suitable, with the back to front baseball cap, bright green DM's & 'crazy' attitude is as the new Timmy Mallet. I can forsee a minor record deal for the 'Majid Rap'. 

The Greens would be well advised to choose future candidates on the basis that they are prepared to stick around for a few years pushing their political agenda & not select someone who ticks more boxes on the political correctness form than anyone else, to try & give them a little more credibility over the other local parties. 

The Greens must be proud that they've now been used to further his career. 

Edited by Baron99
Spelling

On 23/07/2018 at 19:47, melthebell said:

lol i love this thread, its starting to be my favourite comedy thread of the year

Agreed! HILARIOUS....😂 !

10 hours ago, Baron99 said:

Said it many months ago on here when he was first appointed as Lord Mayor.  The man's a bit of a chancer.  He's already had a brief bit of tv fame, having appeared on the 'Hunted' programme.  

Minor 'D' list celebrity status beckons for a  year or so & his 'love' for Sheffield will soon be forgotten, as he tries to make it in London town & no doubt will his 'Green' credentials will quickly go out the window.  Trouble is thee is now a great deal of competition among chancers who want their 15 mins of fame & old Majid, approaching 30 is a bit of a late starter in the media game. Only thing I can see him being suitable, with the back to front baseball cap, bright green DM's & 'crazy' attitude is as the new Timmy Mallet. I can forsee a minor record deal for the 'Majid Rap'. 

The Greens would be well advised to choose future candidates on the basis that they are prepared to stick around for a few years pushing their political agenda & not select someone who ticks more boxes on the political correctness form than anyone else, to try & give them a little more credibility over the other local parties. 

Have you any evidence at all for your assumption that his green credentials are anything less than entirely sincere?

If so, please share it. I won't hold my breath.

14 hours ago, Baron99 said:

this is great for the Green party, as it's quite likely that Broomhill will elect another Green Party councillor.

and M.Magid can continue to raise awareness of the party+issues.

it's a bit like when Caroline Lucas stepped down from leading the Party - it meant 2 green party politicians got airtime, rather than relying on Lucas, for everything.

can't believe he is not going for it again.

The best thing to happen to Sheffield in a long time.  Brilliant use of social media to raise awareness of certain things.

Made a very nondescript  job , with absolutely no power or influence, actually seem modestly exciting for a short time.

And his mere presence annoyed racists and bigots along the way so what's not to like!!

20 minutes ago, arrowhead said:

can't believe he is not going for it again.

The best thing to happen to Sheffield in a long time.  Brilliant use of social media to raise awareness of certain things.

Made a very nondescript  job , with absolutely no power or influence, actually seem modestly exciting for a short time.

And his mere presence annoyed racists and bigots along the way so what's not to like!!

I agree. He's certainly a very charismatic person, and a breath of fresh air. His successor will have very big shoes to fill.

12 minutes ago, Mister M said:

I agree. He's certainly a very charismatic person, and a breath of fresh air. His successor will have very big shoes to fill.

Chances are his successor won't fall into a minority category, so won't be as popular