Sheffield's New Lord Mayor - Magid Magid

Sheffield's flamboyant mayor to step down

Sheffield's sombrero-wearing mayor Magid Magid is to stand down at the local elections in May, he's announced.

A former refugee, Mr Magid says he will not seek re-election when his current term ends and is leaving to concentrate on new projects.

Mr Magid is the city's first Somali mayor, first Green Party mayor, and, at 28, was the youngest mayor.

He said it had been an "absolute honour and privilege" to represent the Broomhill and Sharrow Vale ward.

He shook up the establishment with his trainers, t-shirts and baseball caps and his use of social media to reach out to younger voters.

https://t.co/Av6XxPGm6W

1 hour ago, alchresearch said:

Sheffield's flamboyant mayor to step down

https://t.co/Av6XxPGm6W

Whats the point with the announcement I thought no mayor stood more than one term of office.

I was wondering the same.   Max revealed this last year:

On 28/12/2018 at 11:15, max said:

The next Lord Mayor will be Tony Downing and he is already committed to the people and City of Sheffield as a local councillor of many years. He is already standing in for many of the Mayor's duties as his Deputy when  Magid's not available.

I just hope that those on this forum who have taken such an avid interest in the current Lord Mayor's activities will continue to do so after May when Tony takes over.

Most people seemed to like him.  I think you're more of an embarrassment than he is.

7 minutes ago, Cyclone said:

Most people seemed to like him.  I think you're more of an embarrassment than he is.

Hmmm... :huh:

... well if you say so Mr Cyclone then I'm sure it's correct.

It's just that I don't seem to be able to find any statistics on Google to back up this claim... :suspect:

Like him or not, he did some good stuff and shook up the stuffy old image of a mayor who just opens flower shows and other photo ops.

No disrespect to his successor, but from the look of him I get the impression it will be back to the old ways.  I can't see him wearing DMs or silly hats and posing on tables.

Image result for Tony Downing

Edited by alchresearch

2 hours ago, Penistone999 said:

Good , glad he is going. complete embarrassment to the city .

I can smell gammon.

2 hours ago, Penistone999 said:

An unnecessarily spiteful post. Nasty.

I was just coming on here to praise him. A work colleague of mine got a single rose from him today for her dedication to her clients (she works in the caring profession). A lovely thought.

I can't imagine you (Penny999) doing anything so thoughtful. So keep your nasty comments to yourself. Magid seemed like a lovely man.

Edited by Mister M

He visited my sons school last week, charming and very engaging young fella, the kids also loved him.

Edited by mickey finn
missed a bit.

He's been a breath of fresh air and a lovely bloke.

3 hours ago, Penistone999 said:

Agree