Sheffield's New Lord Mayor - Magid Magid

cant wait to meet him with his dreadlocks and chains,he might even sing for us,when he comes to s8,stop being stuffy its different,an alterative,not boring,a change is often unliked,but often it can be fun,lets enjoy his style.

However, I believe it is true that Lord Mayors are meant to be politically neutral during their time in office, and so would question whether some of his more recent actions fit into that.

how can a lord mayor be politically neutral when they get into office from being elected from a political party?? and the party rotates yearly

how can a lord mayor be politically neutral when they get into office from being elected from a political party?? and the party rotates yearly

The same way that the speaker of the house has to be politically neutral while speaker.

I believe it's supposed to be a ceremonial role. Can anyone confirm what the duties of a Mayor are?

Has the Mayor managed to shoe-horn himself into any photo ops at Tramlines yet with any of the big names, that he'll be able to post on his social media accounts & thereby raise his profile, giving him a bit of an advantage with the producers looking for next years Love Island contestants?

I'm not sure you're making the right comparison.

Have you factored in and quantified: had Trump not won the election, what would be the impact of Clinton's policies on the financial well being of Sheffield?

Have you researched and evaluated what deals, investment and benefits to the city, may have been lost due to our Mayor's expressing anti-Trump sentiment?

It's not a simple calculation as you indicate...

Also, and I don't know how others feel about this, a Mayor should not be so blatantly expressing his own views, he should be representing the views and interests of the people, and certainly I feel he should be apolitical. Someone previously made the point, well, most people in Sheffield don't like Trump. That's not the same as most people in Sheffield would want their mayor to express anti-Trump sentiment. Also, I get the feeling that he expressed his views (on Trump), because they are his views, not because he though that was the general public feeling.

The litter picking up, I like that very much. I'd like it much more if he does that when the cameras are not there.

Not seen anything regarding wearing hats and jumping on tables in council HQ, so can't really judge him on that. Would think that kind of behaviour a bit juvenile and lacking in class though.

I completely detest Trump by the way.

Every elected, pseudo elected and representative of the people and businesses of the Sheffield region should be vociferous in their condemnation of the leader of the worlds biggest economy who:

1 Directly attacks the jobs of our workers and businesses by imposing a 25% tariff on steel products.

2 Indirectly attacks the jobs of individuals, workers and businesses everywhere by engaging in a trade war.

The Lord Mayor traditionally is supposed to have a neutral attitude "in public" when it comes the politics of running Sheffield, by not commenting on party differences. There is no requirement that they should be muted on global issues that affect the economy and welfare of the City.

I see the Mayor as apolitical, with the primary/only interest Sheffield, the Sheffield region, and their people. Political support/affiliation should be put to one side whilst in the position. The Mayor has to keep in mind the number one objectives of attracting investment/good jobs at all times

He/she will be looking for investments, industries and new infrastructure from outside Sheffield, or England, and looking far afield with a wide range thru 360 degrees. So best stay away from political sides, even Trump, as difficult as that may be given the current circumstances

And the Sheffield and region people need to be drawn into the approval process so decisions are made as a team for the region, with no political affiliations.

Assuming a measure of autonomy, the city will also have to tread carefully with tax breaks and land concessions versus the forecasted benefits

Baron99 the lord mayor has been shown round some of the events happening in the city centre today, by a very competent & gifted member of the industry...

I would assume as part of this he will be getting involved in Sheffield's bid to become a recognised Music-Hub (not to be confused with anything to do with any Channel 4 "hub")

whether he's met any of the big name acts I don't know

He’s met the Everley Pregnant Brothers if they count!

I see the Mayor as apolitical, with the primary/only interest Sheffield, the Sheffield region, and their people. Political support/affiliation should be put to one side whilst in the position. The Mayor has to keep in mind the number one objectives of attracting investment/good jobs at all times

He/she will be looking for investments, industries and new infrastructure from outside Sheffield, or England, and looking far afield with a wide range thru 360 degrees. So best stay away from political sides, even Trump, as difficult as that may be given the current circumstances

And the Sheffield and region people need to be drawn into the approval process so decisions are made as a team for the region, with no political affiliations.

Assuming a measure of autonomy, the city will also have to tread carefully with tax breaks and land concessions versus the forecasted benefits

The Sheffield city region mayor, Dan Jarvis, will be looking for investment etc. The Lord Mayor, Majid Majid is traditionally a ceremonial role, opening events, visiting charities, schools etc.

Are you sure that your message was received?

Yes....tweeted...Private messaged....TWICE. He uses twitter a lot for all of his photo opportunities. I'm wondering if there is any more substance to the man other than the photos.

Yes....tweeted...Private messaged....TWICE. He uses twitter a lot for all of his photo opportunities. I'm wondering if there is any more substance to the man other than the photos.

Is going through one of the local councillors worth a try? Or contacting the Green Party - he was their choice? https://sheffieldgreenparty.org.uk/about-us/contact-us/