Sheffield's New Lord Mayor - Magid Magid

well now tell me what a somalian refugee at 28 years of age got to offer and what credentials to hold office apart from the PC angle?? as for how he was dressed is disrespectful to the office.

Doesn't matter who he is. One way or another mayors are just another drain on taxpayers/ratepayers that we don't need.

I agree that neither of those pieces referred to any specific abusive messages - but I think it would be a very naive person indeed who would think there haven't been any.

---------- Post added 05-06-2018 at 18:52 ----------

If there was a like button I would have liked this comment. I know we clash a lot Angel1, but I don't think you're a bad bloke, just rather old fashioned sometimes, so yeah, this was refreshing.

Thank you for that, much appreciated.

Angel1

He's off to Europe already...

What for ? And does he get a salary ?

Not too keen on his photo-opportunity squatting on the town hall staircase, he may actually make local politics more relevant to young people, etc, but some level of decorum is needed.

Whilst I agree that those who hold high office should behave with the decorum that befits their office, I cannot see how Majid's behaviour calls that into question.

If Boris Johnson, the one time occupant of the Mayor of London, can shag about, bad mouth people from other cultures / classes, and generally behave like he was still on the playing fields of Eton and get away with it, then people should have no complaints about Majid, who as far as I can see has done little to warrant criticism.

Time to get behind the Lord Mayor. I have no idea how the Mayor is appointed, but this guy got the nod and seems to want to put his stamp on the position.

Angel1.

The LM is appointed yearly and each party has their candidate chosen on a rota based on the number of councillors they have. So if Labour have 56 members, Lid Dems 22, Greens 4 and others 2 then the Greens will get 4 LMs over a period of 84 years, Labour 56, etc. The party will choose who their LM is when it's their turn.

In answer to another question they are still paid their councillor's allowance plus any expenses they incur in the role of LM.

He's off to Europe already...

Seen it now . Couple of weeks into the job and got a nice little biking holiday booked . Hope hes not claiming expenses for this

---------- Post added 05-06-2018 at 20:56 ----------

The LM is appointed yearly and each party has their candidate chosen on a rota based on the number of councillors they have. So if Labour have 56 members, Lid Dems 22, Greens 4 and others 2 then the Greens will get 4 LMs over a period of 84 years, Labour 56, etc. The party will choose who their LM is when it's their turn.

In answer to another question they are still paid their councillor's allowance plus any expenses they incur in the role of LM.

Thanks for that :thumbsup:

well now tell me what a somalian refugee at 28 years of age got to offer and what credentials to hold office apart from the PC angle?? as for how he was dressed is disrespectful to the office.

I can't see what him being Somalian has to do with whether he has anything to offer, except to a racist.

And yes, let's remember that such luminaries as Jackie Drayton have previously held this office - the prestige! The understated gravitas of the role!

I saw calls on Breitbart (had to wash my screen after visiting that <removed>) for him and Sajid Khan to be executed. :(

Its not the only example, others have been much worse.

I think that he will be a great mayor and welcome the fact that he may have a different and more modern approach even though this is just a ceremonial role. The days of God save the Queen and men in suits is slowly but surely coming to an end. At least he wont wear some bloody awful hats or outfits that the last mayor wore.

Good for the Greens! I think he'll raise their profile amongst voters for a start. Hopefully he'll inspire some younger people to take an interest in politics. On one hand people complain about 'the council', but very little changes. Perhaps he'll be the catalyst.

I can't see what him being Somalian has to do with whether he has anything to offer, except to a racist.

And yes, let's remember that such luminaries as Jackie Drayton have previously held this office - the prestige! The understated gravitas of the role!

Exactly, he does seem like a decent lad though, he is enjoying the fame too, lets hope he livens the role up.

Don’t know him and what he stands for (other than he is in the Green Party). I also don’t know how much impact a Lord Mayor has in what is a ceremonial role, but...

Even if he achieves nothing more than appearing at lots of photo opportunities for the next year, it will be very worthwhile. The (albeit superficial) appearance of such a photogenic and positive person will do nothing but good for the city.

I’m not trying to imply that this is all he has to offer, but just that he does provide a positive and youthful “go ahead” image which I’m sure will benefit Sheffield. Looks like a really good call by the Greens in picking him as our representative.

(Edit: It might also cause some people to reassess their own ideas of what a Somalian is).

Edited by Eater Sundae