Amey are going to tow my car tomorrow

Well done mate and please post your dealings with Amey :)

Actually don't speak with Amey. Come talk to my 18mth old.

You'll get more sense from her.

Actually don't speak with Amey. Come talk to my 18mth old.

You'll get more sense from her.

:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

My car was moved to a safe place by a friend.

I’m home tomorrow and Amey are going to get the benefit of my experience of forward planning.:D

Thanks for your input, Emma. Very constructive.

I think sometimes it may be unavoidable to give plenty of notice but in that case they certainly shouldnt be charging people for removal even if you can claim it back afterwards, £100+ is a lot of money for some people to have tied up.

Even better would be just to move the car somewhere else and put a note through saying where it is, I am sure I have seen this method posted on here somewhere but maybe they dont do it in all cases.

I think sometimes it may be unavoidable to give plenty of notice but in that case they certainly shouldnt be charging people for removal even if you can claim it back afterwards, £100+ is a lot of money for some people to have tied up.

Even better would be just to move the car somewhere else and put a note through saying where it is, I am sure I have seen this method posted on here somewhere but maybe they dont do it in all cases.

My understanding is they won't do that, as anywhere except a locked compound could have liability issues if something happened to the car after it was moved.

We had similar, however nothing happened and a month later the notices were removed. The reappeared a few weeks later, and work did start this time, so I just asked one of their guys to knock on our door when they needed the car moved, not a problem.

could have liability issues if something happened to the car after it was moved.

Good point. The RAC refused to drop my cousin's car on the road outside her house when they recovered it after a breakdown, because the tax had expired and the driver was worried about being liable if it were clamped by the DVLA.

The road "belongs" to the City not to people parked on it so the Council/Amey can do what they want within reason.

I'd seriously suggest you seek proper legal advice on this. There was a case a number of years back where a doctor was on holiday while her road was being done. Not only was her car towed away but as it wasn't claimed after a certain period it was crushed and a number of confidential medical records were destroyed.

Naturally she went bananas when she found out and was prepared to sue everyone involved. To her horror, she discovered that the council contractors were legally allowed to do this as the council had given the regulation notice to residents of the road.

Seek legal advice!

Id be more concerned that a doctor went on holiday leaving a bunch of medical records in her car!

The road "belongs" to the City not to people parked on it so the Council/Amey can do what they want within reason.

Whilst it's true that it belongs to the state (which represents the people), it doesn't follow that they can do whatever they like, they're quite strictly bound by the law.

Whilst it's true that it belongs to the state (which represents the people), it doesn't follow that they can do whatever they like, they're quite strictly bound by the law.

Of course, and removing cars at short notice without "owners' permission" to carry out "emergency" work will be well within the remit of the laws governing public highways.

My understanding is they won't do that, as anywhere except a locked compound could have liability issues if something happened to the car after it was moved.

Yes, that is the policy they normally employ in Sheffield. If a vehicle is lifted, it goes to the compound. The compound is secure, the contractor takes photos of the vehicle before lifting it, so there is less potential for claims for damage to the vehicle.

Of course, and removing cars at short notice without "owners' permission" to carry out "emergency" work will be well within the remit of the laws governing public highways.

The "emergency" that has existed for 2 years? :huh:

More importantly though is the question of whether the owner can recoup the charges that are applied.