Cost of British holidays

They did bloody well considering the Corsa hire car they rented wasn't released till the mid 1990's

Well spotted, it was probably a Nova? I parked it near a beach in a car park and we went for a long walk, then we saw huge black clouds racing in from seawards and got caught in a deluge- too late, I'd left the sunroof wide open so we had to drive back in waterlogged seats.

I just wondered, as and when you snuff it, after enjoying cruise ship hospitality, they could wrap you in a sheet and drop you over the side, saving massive funeral costs, I’m warming to this idea. :)

Edited by Calahonda

Definitely too expensive. You can get an entire 2 bedroom flat in Whitby from £60 per night.

https://www.airbnb.co.uk/rooms/21225831?location=Whitby&s=UBfe9oT7

https://www.airbnb.co.uk/rooms/6775977?location=Whitby

The important word there is "from" £60 per night.

I have just run a search for the identical flat in the middle of the next school holiday and the same flat is £126 per night plus a service fee.

Prices for holidays UK and Abroad flucuate dependant on supply and demand, how you book, how far in advance you book and specifically where you book.

I personally dont think the UK is particurly more expensive than abroad if people genuinely compare like for like. Somewhere like Benidorm or Majorca will always have lower prices as oppose some small British seaside town simply because the competition is larger.

Ultimately, just like everything else, when people keep demanding wages go up overheads and sale price will also go up.

Edited by ECCOnoob

The magpie café, supposed to be brilliant in there, or you could always try Mels Place.

Went to the Magpie when we camped up that way, queued for 45 mins and paid over £30 for what i can only describe as the worst fish and chips i had ever had....

Went to the Magpie when we camped up that way, queued for 45 mins and paid over £30 for what i can only describe as the worst fish and chips i had ever had....

Iv"e been to Whitby, and seen the queue"s, never tried it simply because of the queue.. tell me why would people queue for 45mins for rubbish fish n chips.

Is it just me, or has the cost of holidays in Britain gone right up?

Due to circumstances, we're forced to holiday in Britain for the next few years and it seems to me that they now charge more for a weekend, or three or four nights than they used to charge for a whole week. Even caravans are charging 4 to 5 hundred a week.

On top of that everything seems to be a complete rip off. Cost of entertainment, food, visitor attractions etc seem to cost the earth for not very much. Add to that the chance of being rained on all week, and it doesn't seem a very inviting experience.

There's just the two of us, (and the dog,) one of us a bit disabled at the moment. How do families afford it? Anybody got any ideas?

Holidaying in Slovenia this year as it is cheaper believe it not. It just isn't good value for money to holiday within the UK.

Holidaying in Slovenia this year as it is cheaper believe it not. It just isn't good value for money to holiday within the UK.

For your first sentence I would believe it and its a lovely destination which I would recommend to others.

As for your second sentence I would query what exactly is deemed "value for money". Yes prices may be higher, but there is a very obvious reason for that. Salary and overheads.

Minimum wage level in Slovenia is reported to be 4.84 euros (approx £4.25) per hour. National minimum wage level for the majority in the uk is £7.83 per hour. That's a difference per hour of 84% higher.

https://www.eurofound.europa.eu/sites/default/files/ef_publication/field_ef_document/ef18005en.pdf

Not really like for like circumstances.

If we can just admit that the bottom line bargain price is all we look for and really all we care about that's fine.

However, I do find it quite hypocritical when plenty of posters on this forum bang on about poor downtrodden workers on pitiful wages on one hand, but then moan and complain about Rip Off Britain on the other hand.

Cant have it both ways.

Most of the cost of a holiday isn't due to the cost of paying staff though is it?

Carvanning or a cottage doesn't involve paying lots of people, fuel prices aren't related to minimum wage, nor are the prices in shops. Food prices, somewhat, if you're eating in a restaurant.

Really, where? Serious question, we might try it.

Trouble is one of us is currently disabled and can't walk far so it has to be fairly central, not too many steps / stairs etc. And has to take dogs, so options are a bit limited.

See the links I posted Anna. You can view all the rentals on a map, and customise the search so you can find ground floor properties for example, or if pets are welcome. It really is a great alternative, I've been doing it for years and never had a problem.

See the links I posted Anna. You can view all the rentals on a map, and customise the search so you can find ground floor properties for example, or if pets are welcome. It really is a great alternative, I've been doing it for years and never had a problem.

Thankyou so much Alch.

I've never thought about airbnb, thought it was all a bit modern, young, and didn't really understand it. But having now taken the trouble to look at your links and the airbnb site, it certainly looks as though it has possibilities and is worth getting to grips with.

You never know, you may well have transformed my British holidaying experience. :hihi:

Thanks again.

It's just like booking anywhere else tbh, very easy to use.

Iv"e been to Whitby, and seen the queue"s, never tried it simply because of the queue.. tell me why would people queue for 45mins for rubbish fish n chips.

Yep we did that, queued simply because of the reputation, never again, you're quite correct it was rubbish value for money.