What is so good about Sheffield City Centre?

There is.

This is an easy counter argument.

Keep trying ...

Cathedrals, cinemas, green space, theatres, okay shopping, decent pubs, decent food, spa.

It's as much as any city centre has, apart from the shopping which could be a bit better.

Guest makapaka
Cathedrals, cinemas, green space, theatres, okay shopping, decent pubs, decent food, spa.

It's as much as any city centre has, apart from the shopping which could be a bit better.

I agree entirely.

There is not a regular Gap at Meadowhall.

---------- Post added 18-07-2018 at 09:58 ----------

Yes. I work on South Quay so I am down here everyday. The Pax is ok, but only on a Friday night, and that is mostly workers from the area. They pizza is only on every Friday or every other Friday.

My point is simple. It is a lovely picturesque area, full of ready made retail and entertainment venues in the form of those arches. And what is there? A greasy spoon cafe, an office for the canal, and Dorothy Pax, which looks like a cafe from some tedious market town masquerading as a bar in the evening.

Now look at the same area in Leeds - boutiques, art galleries, craft beer bars, coffee shops - it's a real vibrant area.

I don't buy the ' it's a long way from town line'. It's no further from Fargate than the Leeds dockland area is from, say, Briggate in Leeds.

There are two or three empty arches at the canal basin. They wouldn't hold enough people to make a viable entertainment business and don't curently have running water or gas. They can be leased from The Canal and River Trust - which is a charity with limited resources.

A few people are looking at taking on Arches 18/19.

The Canal and River Trust have plans to turn one or two of the arches into toilet facilities, but I guess the funding for that comes second to canal repair and maintenance. They are currently replacing the lighting and the windows on all of the arches.

The canal basin has very little to do with Sheffield Council.

Leeds canal goes through the city and onwards. Sheffield's is a dead end. The people building the canal should have thought about 21st century entertainment quarters and carried on to Kelham Island.

Edited by SimonS