What is so good about Sheffield City Centre?

Guest makapaka

People posting on the state of the town centre obviously don’t remember it 30 years ago when it really was struggling.

Much improved these days

Born Ere Sheffield City Centre has gone down hill Years ago , Only go To city centre if I must tbf .

As someone who has worked in the city centre, on and off for circa 20 years commencing in 1962 and ending in 2010, I couldn’t wait to get away from it. I wondered if there were any forumers with similar feelings, I feel far more at home in the Peak Park than in Sheffield City Centre.

.....in my opinion.... not a lot! other cities not a million miles from here have real class stores. What do we get when the Moor was revamped, Peacocks and Primark! Says it all really.

What stores are you thinking of?

As someone who has worked in the city centre, on and off for circa 20 years commencing in 1962 and ending in 2010, I couldn’t wait to get away from it. I wondered if there were any forumers with similar feelings, I feel far more at home in the Peak Park than in Sheffield City Centre.

And the Peak Park is right on the doorstep of a thriving (OK, debatable) metropolis. Aren't we lucky?

I can't see why people get hung up on what shops are in town vs at Meadowhall or whatever. It's got the basics, it's good a good range of pubs and bars, it has good events (I enjoyed the food festival the other week, ran the half marathon from the centre, etc), the Tramlines fringe stuff and the fact any time of year you can go and see at least one band of pretty much any genre any day of the week for nothing or not much, you can park all over the place for not that much (try that in Leeds)...and it's a generally friendly place (football nights and West Street after 9 notwithstanding) whether you're out on the tiles or out with the kids, I never feel threatened in Sheffield. I served 10 years time living in Nottingham city centre and believe me, great shops do not make for a pleasant and welcoming city centre.

Im a bit surprised more people haven't just dismissed the OP based on calling Sheffielders a bunch of pie and peas racists frankly. As far as I can see this city has a lot of pride in its diversity, and builds it's personality on a blend of traditional values and diverse influences. And yes that diversity spans political left and right as much as it spans different races and cultures, Im not pretending Sheffield is free from any of the political tensions that seem to be pervading the U.K. and beyond just now, but I do think Sheffielders typically find a way of handling them better than most, making for a truly "friendlier up north" place to be.

And the Peak Park is right on the doorstep of a thriving (OK, debatable) metropolis. Aren't we lucky?

Yes but the thread is about the city centre, not it’s proximity to the Peak Park. I haven’t set foot in the former for circa 2 years, however I’m in the latter every day. I’m not having a pop, just asking if there are any on here who feel the same as me.

If you want to see development and growth go to kelham island. It's not in city centre but its growth is more uplifting than the moor.

I agree with the comment about Nottingham. Living there for 5 years in the 80s I always felt that undercurrent of threat and violence in the city centre. Even when I went back in the 00s to the Goose Fair some poor lass got shot and killed in a drive-by. When I moved to Sheffield it had a totally different feel. It didn't feel like a city centre you would get your head kicked by the first person you said hello to . Sure there is violence around but it doesn't have that type of feel.

I was talking to a bloke from Derby college on the Eroica ride last summer and he kept telling me what a wonderful and creative city centre we have and how lucky I was to be there. Tons of stuff going on I never knew about You only have to look at the Open Up brochure to get a feel for what happening.

I think with Sheffield City you cant expect the experiences to come to you, you have to look for it.

Yesterday I rode down to have cold beer at the Canal Basin, big crowd of locals from the boats and the S2 area, barbecue running, and a pint of Berliner Pilsner at the Dorothy Pax 80p cheaper than a certain bar 1/2 mile away in Kelham Island. Castlegates a dump? Well, you have a street party at Exchange St next week, music, poetry, food stalls so go and have a look.

The food festival was great last week and as for car parking I don't know any comparable city that is as cheap to park, or as easy to find spaces

As for Meadowhall. I can't comment as I've never been there.

If you want to see development and growth go to kelham island. It's not in city centre but its growth is more uplifting than the moor.

With a museum that is STILL closed on Saturday.

Docfest!

Cliffhanger!

Tramlines!

Pint of Science!

and that's just off the top of my head. and i don't pay much attention to the world outside my own head. You'd have to be (even more) deliberately and consistently un-engaged not to have heard of any of these.

And yes, joking aside, one of the great things about sheffield city centre is that it's relatively easy to escape... plenty of gorgeous green spaces within an hours walk of the centre. (15mins by bike)

Calahonda

I feel far more at home in the Peak Park than in Sheffield City Centre ... I’m not having a pop, just asking if there are any on here who feel the same as me.

i grew up a country bumpkin, i don't really feel 'at home' in a city centre. so, yes, i think i understand.

but, cities are where the jobs are. The countryside has been quite effectively annexed by the rich. but that's a different discussion.

(in principle, i could live somewhere like Grindleford, and pretend that i 'lived in the country', but i'd be commuting for 4 hours a day, and simply sleeping in the country. No thanks)

Well-paid jobs and affordable housing, mean living in a city. i've chosen Sheffield, it's far from perfect, but while i wait for perfect there's plenty to keep me entertained and busy.

i do wonder which city the OP is using as his/her benchmark, it must be an amazing place to live!