What is so good about Sheffield City Centre?

Loads of places.

Such as ?

Why do you move around so much ?

Edited by Daven

You walk around with your eyes shut mate.

Go and live in Bradford - you will soon realise Sheffield has a lot going for it.

Nothing wrong with Bradford. It has a far superior city centre than Sheffield has to offer. You not been lately around Broadway or City Park?

Nothing wrong with Bradford. It has a far superior city centre than Sheffield has to offer. You not been lately around Broadway or City Park?

I have - made a point of visiting those places following all the hype.

I was very disappointed - quite shabby and rather grim in places - just like Sheffield really. I was expecting much more.

I don't think it has changed much since I lived there in the mid eighties.

Bradford centre has some beautiful old architecture, as has Sheffield, but you have to open you eyes and look upwards.

Overall, I think Sheffield centre has more to offer than Bradford has - just my opinion of course.

Edited by Daven

Such as ?

Why do you move around so much ?

Everywhere you can think of. I'm a gypsy.

The blame always seems to point in the direction of our local authority. I`m still unsure how much blame they should shoulder. More important than ever these days to be a regional media centre.

I think the key word there is indeed centre, and Sheffield isn't placed conveniently enough for it to be one due to the poor east-west links from it.

I think the key word there is indeed centre, and Sheffield isn't placed conveniently enough for it to be one due to the poor east-west links from it.

Im not sure that would be enough to make it a regional media centre.

---------- Post added 07-08-2018 at 13:10 ----------

How is that going to happen? I wish it were possible, but genuinely don't see how it's likely.

Channel 4 snubbed the city and we have what must be the worst local newspaper for a region of this size anywhere in the UK. I'm not aware of any thriving creative industries centres of excellence in the area, and until recently the BBC couldn't even be arsed to repair the BBC Radio Sheffield sign that had been missing letters for a year or so.

The best option is advanced manufacturing. OK, it cost the city to persuade McLaren and Boeing to come to the AMRC, but it's a step in the right direction, especially if it encourages others to come also.

This is certainly the way forward.

Indeed - but it all takes time.

Watch this space peeps.

I was in Sheffield at the beginning of the week. I don’t think the city centre is that bad. There was a lovely atmosphere with the fun fairs and things to do. Even the large Megabus parked outside John Lewis, doing a promotion didn’t look out of the way, giving free candy floss and pens.

When I was in Sheffield a few days before last Christmas there was a magical Christmas atmosphere then, with the Christmas market, the carousel on Barkers Pool, and the decorated cathedral. Much better than Newcastle and surrounding areas such as Durham, Alnwick, Hexham and Morpeth. Very rarely would I say this but well done to Sheffield council if they are the ones responsible for creating the Christmas atmosphere.

There are some sad places as there is in the centre of Newcastle near where I now live.

One thing we have here In Newcastle is called Alive After Five, when all multi storey car parks are free after 5’0 clock, in the centre and surrounding area. Not sure if Sheffield do anything similar, if not could be a good idea, but the shops stay open till 8’0 clock here, not sure they do in Sheffield.

One thing we have here In Newcastle is called Alive After Five, when all multi storey car parks are free after 5’0 clock, in the centre and surrounding area. Not sure if Sheffield do anything similar, if not could be a good idea, but the shops stay open till 8’0 clock here, not sure they do in Sheffield.

They close at 6. It's precisely this sort of idea that would make a difference to the city, and encourage people to come in in the evenings. Most nights the city centre is a ghost town.

They close at 6. It's precisely this sort of idea that would make a difference to the city, and encourage people to come in in the evenings. Most nights the city centre is a ghost town.

Shows how much notice you take of what’s actually happening in town.

There has been an alive after five initiative running in Sheffield for some time now. Some of the new shops on the Moor open till 7. See: http://www.sheffafter5.com

Despite a few open pound shops, the majority of the city centre on a weeknight is a ghost town by six.

I think M&S closes at 7, but all the large department stores are open till 8 and it is busy in Newcastle Centre after 5’0 clock. Come Thursday and Friday evening when all the stags and hens are here it’s not always a good place to be.

Edited by hauxwell