What is so good about Sheffield City Centre?

I suppose if you wanted to go to the theatre you might.

There’s a lot of money in the Peak District National Park, and the law of averages dictate that many of them must work in Sheffield. I’m driving out there every morning, as many quality cars are travelling in the direction of Sheffield. I’m thinking hospitals and universities, well if I worked at the Sheffield University or the Hallamshire, I wouldn’t be in a hurry to spend my leisure time in SCC.

The hospitals and universities are more like it, and aside from that, Manchester.

HSBC is a large employer of course in Sheffield, there's the AMR and McClaren just out of town. Capita have a large office and several subsidiary offices, and there are of course numerous smaller companies all over the city. Plusnet, Insight, UFI (Learn Direct), SkyBet, all national or international companies with large offices in Sheffield.

As a self employed IT Contractor I move around a lot and I sometimes have to work in Leeds as well, I've managed to stay in Sheffield though for about 5 years, the market has been steadily improving.

HSBC is a large employer of course in Sheffield, there's the AMR and McClaren just out of town. Capita have a large office and several subsidiary offices, and there are of course numerous smaller companies all over the city. Plusnet, Insight, UFI (Learn Direct), SkyBet, all national or international companies with large offices in Sheffield.

As a self employed IT Contractor I move around a lot and I sometimes have to work in Leeds as well, I've managed to stay in Sheffield though for about 5 years, the market has been steadily improving.

Despite all that, there's still a long way to go to get anywhere near Leeds or Bristol, indeed there's some catching up to get to Liverpool or Newcastle.

Despite all that, there's still a long way to go to get anywhere near Leeds or Bristol, indeed there's some catching up to get to Liverpool or Newcastle.

With the exception of Bristol, all are parts of conurbations with populations far larger than Sheffield. Bristol is the regional centre for the south west of England. Sheffield at best is a sub regional centre.

Trying to reframe the point, there ARE a lot of large companies in Sheffield and a commensurate amount of well paid people who DO spend a lot of their leisure time in and around Sheffield.

It's certainly far more than just the NHS and 2 universities.

Moan all the time is what I hear, if you don't like it be quiet or <removed> off, try saying something positive.

Trying to reframe the point, there ARE a lot of large companies in Sheffield and a commensurate amount of well paid people who DO spend a lot of their leisure time in and around Sheffield.

Like it or not, Sheffield and the whole of South Yorkshire is the low pay capital of Britain. Well paid jobs are in shorter supply than across the Pennines or just up the M1.

Agreed and a lot of Sheffieldes who have to travel to other cities to spend money in higher quality stores.

Hopefully this will soon change

Moan all the time is what I hear, if you don't like it be quiet or <removed> off, try saying something positive.

I agree.

Sheffield city centre is a lot better now than it was 25 years ago. It's cleaner and much more welcoming.

Unfortunately the gripe of a lot of people is 'oh it's not Leeds or Manchester' Well go & live in those cities! I have, & I prefer Sheffield because it is safer and more welcoming to people. Okay, the city centre doesn't have as many shops, so what - why don't they go to Meadowhall & look at all the things they can't afford there? But I suspect even if there were as many shops in the city centre, then the same people would find something else to complain about. Homeless people, Big Issue sellers, the price of parking, Sheffield's too hilly etc etc.

---------- Post added 19-06-2018 at 21:18 ----------

I was shocked by the state of the centre on Sunday. Witnessed two people openly dealing drugs, in the middle of Fargate, without a care in the world. Got asked for money 15 times, and the whole place was intimidating and unpleasant, with gangs of people openly using drugs and drinking sitting around benches.

Why would anyone bother shopping there? I'd never take kids to witness drug dealing like that - so openly and brazenly. The city centre needs sorting out pretty quickly - it's no wonder businesses are struggling,. It's a horrible environment to be in.

It's a shame that there aren't any organisations in Sheffield that work with rough sleepers or those who struggle with addiction problems.

I agree.

Sheffield city centre is a lot better now than it was 25 years ago. It's cleaner and much more welcoming.

Unfortunately the gripe of a lot of people is 'oh it's not Leeds or Manchester' Well go & live in those cities! I have, & I prefer Sheffield because it is safer and more welcoming to people. Okay, the city centre doesn't have as many shops, so what - why don't they go to Meadowhall & look at all the things they can't afford there? But I suspect even if there were as many shops in the city centre, then the same people would find something else to complain about. Homeless people, Big Issue sellers, the price of parking, Sheffield's too hilly etc etc.

---------- Post added 19-06-2018 at 21:18 ----------

It's a shame that there aren't any organisations in Sheffield that work with rough sleepers or those who struggle with addiction problems.

The Archer Project.

Sheffield Outreach Team.

Health Inclusion Team

The Archer Project.

Sheffield Outreach Team.

Health Inclusion Team

I know - Paula4sheff also works for one of the organisations that helps vulnerable people....though you'd never guess it from her posts on here