What is so good about Sheffield City Centre?

You will get over it of course, but in the process you're proving my central point about an apathetic Sheffield population who sigh in weary acceptance about the city being rather shabby, and then adopt a 'I dont really care' mentality about its northern rivals being forward looking.

what do you want us to look forward too?

while the inmates here aren't a representative sample of the local population, they do project a "don't want to spend more than 20p on anything" mentality. If that's reflected in the wider population then you wont attract the high end retailers.

sheffield and the wider south yorkshire area was built on mining, steel and other big engineering and metal work. those days have gone, places like the advanced manufacturing park out in Catcliffe are good and will bring jobs in but modern manufacturing techniques and automation means they will never produce the big firms employing tens of thousands of people like the good old days.

cities like Leeds and Manchester have a much wider commercial base than sheffield (and south yorkshire ever had) and that's made it easier for them.

building that sort of base in sheffield is possible but difficult,

perhaps what we should do is concentrate on our strengths - metal and big stuff. get that bit right and possibly it could be a foundation for widening the commercial base.

the problem is, that for the last 30odd years we've had a succession of governments who haven't been committed to maintaining a manufacturing base in the country and some have been openly hostile to the idea.

even if they had the money, the council don't really have the powers to change anything only fiddle at the edges.

if all the local councils worked together, pooled their resources and powers and got really aggressive about lobbying whitehall and got really good at introducing local businesses to customers and suppliers then they might be able to achieve something.

I'd be interested in seeing the source for that, because it surprises me and goes against conventional wisdom. A large proportion of Sheffield students are overseas students - do they stay? Similarly, Sheffield doesn't appear in even the top 8 student cities in this survey, in which employment opportunities post graduation, is a key factor.

i stopped :)

You can`t compare counties with cities. Greater Manchester is a county not a city.

That feels a bit disingenuous. Greater Manchester can certainly be compared to the Sheffield City Region.

That feels a bit disingenuous. Greater Manchester can certainly be compared to the Sheffield City Region.

In what way? Greater Manchester has a far bigger population and population density and is largely one built up area.

In what way? Greater Manchester has a far bigger population and population density and is largely one built up area.

There are six core cities of the north - Manchester, Liverpool, Sheffield, Leeds, Hull and Newcastle. We can argue the toss about whether they are countries of metropolitan boroughs or cities or villages - the fact remains they as both government and the private sector seeks to rebalance the UK economy by leveraging the advantages of being in the north, those six core cities are in competition with each other for relocated corporations, jobs, businesses and cultural resources.

They HAVE to be graded against each other; as more resources go to one, it's at the expense of the other. Momentum then builds and some get left behind - like Sheffield and Hull now.

Just last week Channel 4 snubbed Sheffield and is likely to end up in Leeds or Manchester. Hardly surprising. I saw a draft of Sheffield's Channel 4 bid - candidly it was drab, uninspiring and defeatist. No vision, no excitement and no passion.

It feels like Sheffield has already given up, and that's a huge tragedy for the city and its future.

Guest makapaka
There are six core cities of the north - Manchester, Liverpool, Sheffield, Leeds, Hull and Newcastle. We can argue the toss about whether they are countries of metropolitan boroughs or cities or villages - the fact remains they as both government and the private sector seeks to rebalance the UK economy by leveraging the advantages of being in the north, those six core cities are in competition with each other for relocated corporations, jobs, businesses and cultural resources.

They HAVE to be graded against each other; as more resources go to one, it's at the expense of the other. Momentum then builds and some get left behind - like Sheffield and Hull now.

Just last week Channel 4 snubbed Sheffield and is likely to end up in Leeds or Manchester. Hardly surprising. I saw a draft of Sheffield's Channel 4 bid - candidly it was drab, uninspiring and defeatist. No vision, no excitement and no passion.

It feels like Sheffield has already given up, and that's a huge tragedy for the city and its future.

It would be a tragedy if it was true but it’s not it’s just your opinion.

Hopefully Sheffield has not given up. The city is the same size if not bigger than Manchester and Leeds. We should be doing much better, much better, that is a fact.

The blame always seems to point in the direction of our local authority. I`m still unsure how much blame they should shoulder. More important than ever these days to be a regional media centre.

More important than ever these days to be a regional media centre.

How is that going to happen? I wish it were possible, but genuinely don't see how it's likely.

Channel 4 snubbed the city and we have what must be the worst local newspaper for a region of this size anywhere in the UK. I'm not aware of any thriving creative industries centres of excellence in the area, and until recently the BBC couldn't even be arsed to repair the BBC Radio Sheffield sign that had been missing letters for a year or so.

The best option is advanced manufacturing. OK, it cost the city to persuade McLaren and Boeing to come to the AMRC, but it's a step in the right direction, especially if it encourages others to come also.

Nothing. No redeeming features whatsover. An embarassing depressing city centre.

You walk around with your eyes shut mate.

Go and live in Bradford - you will soon realise Sheffield has a lot going for it.

You walk around with your eyes shut mate.

It's the best way to experience Sheffield city centre.

It's the best way to experience Sheffield city centre.

Not so.

Have you ever lived anywhere else but Sheffield ?

Are you enjoying the summer holidays ?

Not so.

Have you ever lived anywhere else but Sheffield ?

Are you enjoying the summer holidays ?

Loads of places.